Chapter 17: Facing the Ace Ops

Start from the beginning

Harriet: "Marrow! Cut the crap will you?!" She yelled at him before rushing back into the fight, as Kai now defended attacks from the remaining three huntsmen.

Marrow: "We're supposed to arrest him, not kill him Hare. You're being excessive!". Kai ducked underneath Vine's swing, landed a kick on Harriet's side, then jumped over Elm to kick her in the back. Harriet yelled again, "Marrow!". Marrow let out a sigh, "Okay, fine". Just then, Vine, Elm and Harriet fell back in unison, leaving Marrow with a clear view of Kai, whose eyes widened in sudden realization of what was about to happen. Marrow snapped his fingers at Kai and spoke.

Marrow: "Stay". And just like that, Kai found himself completely unable to move. With their opponent wide open, held in place by Marrow's semblance, the rest of the Ace Ops rushed in to attack in sync. Kai had to do something, and fast. Desperately, he reached into himself and called up even more of his dark side.

Kai: "Grrraaaaah!!" The whites of his eyes went pitch black as he yelled, and just as the Ace Ops were about to reach him, a burst of red flames flew out from his body in all directions. It wasn't large enough to be considered especially lethal, but the burst was sufficient enough to blow away his opponents, while simultaneously releasing him from Marrow's hold. But as it turned out, not all of his opponents got blown away.

Elm: "You won't get off that easy!" Elm had been able to withstand the blast by instinctively attaching herself to the ground with her semblance. Taking advantage of the close proximity, she swung her hammer with all her might, the rocket blasters on her weapon opening up to propel the blow with even more force.

But Kai stood his ground as well, taking a stance and winding his left fist back. Red flames covered his hand, and he rocketed his fist forward in a deadly punch. His fist met the heavy blow of the hammer, and they clashed in the middle. But the clash only lasted for a second. This was a recreation of the training session the two combatants had had before. Back then, Kai was never able to overpower Elm's hammer with just a punch, no matter how hard he had tried.

But, the Kai of then, and the boy Elm currently faced, were two completely different people in terms of strength.

Elm's eyes widened in shock as Kai's fist overpowered her strike, knocking the hammer out of her hand completely. In fact, she would have been sent flying if it wasn't for her semblance still holding her in place. But Kai took advantage of that. His grip tightened on his blade the next second as he prepared for a swing of his black and red blade. Elm was wide open, her weapon was lost, and she couldn't move away in time. He was going in for the kill.
.
.
.

...

.
.
.

Kill??

Kai stopped mid-swing, the black draining from his eyes as he looked down at his hands, horrified by what he was just about to do. Elm watched him with a mix of expressions on her face; confusion, relief, surprise...and gratefulness.

Elm: "What...are you doing?" Kai looked up at her face, a sad expression on his face, "I...I don't..." He never got to finish his sentence, as Harriet drove her fist hard into his jaw. The exoskeleton she wore packed a lot more power into the blow, and Kai flew off, with Ghostblaze flying out of his grip as he tumbled back into Ironwood's office. Kai slowly got to his feet, slightly disoriented from being caught off guard, and just then, Harriet appeared in front of him again. He aimed a punch at her, which she easily side-stepped, before throwing a kick at his gut which sent him backwards till he bumped into Ironwood's desk. He barely had time to react before Harriet drove her fist into his face again, slamming him straight through the desk which bent and shattered beneath him.