Ji Lianyun hurriedly leaned closer, pressing his ear against Tang Ning's quivering lips, trying to discern what Tang Ning was trying to say.

There were so many things Tang Ning wanted to say. He wanted to ask why the person had fainted just now, whether they were human or ghost. He had so many questions, but he was just so tired, too exhausted to even speak. He opened his mouth and gently bit down on the person's earlobe.

Due to his lack of strength, Tang Ning left a faint tooth mark on the pale earlobe, not drawing blood, but rather resembling an inexplicable temptation.

The onlookers watched in astonishment.

They watched as Tang Ning strained to lift his neck, warm tears sliding down his flushed cheeks, his nose turning a pitiful shade of red. He flashed his teeth at Ji Lianyun like a cornered kitten, futilely attempting to attack a monster many times larger and more terrifying than himself—

Indeed.

It was a monster.

Just moments ago, as Tang Ning staggered into the memorial hall carrying the unconscious Ji Lianyun on his back, all the players rose to see what was happening with Ji Lianyun. Unexpectedly, Tang Ning suddenly grabbed a rope and attempted to hang himself.

The usually frail Tang Ning erupted with an immense strength, overpowering the players who tried to stop him. Outside the memorial hall, the figure of Uncle Wang appeared, standing by the door, sinisterly observing the chaos with a twisted smile on his face.

With only the last bit of incense burning wildly, it turned into ashes under the despairing gazes of the crowd. Uncle Wang eagerly lifted his foot to step over the threshold, but just as everything seemed to be falling apart, Ji Lianyun, lying on the ground, suddenly showed a faint sign of life.

It was as faint as the dying flicker of a candle in the wind.

Almost imperceptible if one didn't look closely.

Yet, Uncle Wang, about to enter the memorial hall, froze in place as if confronted with the most terrifying sound in the world.

Ji Lianyun lying on the ground spasmed visibly, his limbs twitching, and then, eerily, he sat up. His eyes were still closed, his body covered in blood. Tang Ning's face was pale, with a dewy sheen, while Ji Lianyun's face resembled the pallor of a paper doll even more closely.

Blood trickled from his lips to the side of his neck, as if shattered porcelain had been forcibly pieced back together. Then, he abruptly opened his eyes.

The moment Ji Lianyun opened his eyes, Uncle Wang didn't hesitate to run outside, leaping into the darkness without a second thought.

No player uttered a word; they all watched as Ji Lianyun slowly, unsteadily stood up, seemingly in a daze, tiptoeing as if in a half-dream state. Blood dripped from his body as he slowly walked to where Tang Ning was hanging. He stood on the stool, his slender hands gently embracing Tang Ning, who was struggling incessantly. In that instant, the rope binding Tang Ning snapped in two, and the players' nerves, stretched to their limits, seemed to shatter into two halves as well—

What kind of monster was this?!

They watched in horror, afraid that Tang Ning's actions might provoke the bizarre NPC.

Tang Ning nestled unknowingly in Ji Lianyun's embrace, his expression appearing crestfallen, genuinely so, because he had indeed intended to bite Ji Lianyun's earlobe.

Ji Lianyun gazed at Tang Ning in bewilderment.

Tang Ning's aggrieved demeanor made it seem as though he was the one who had been bitten. "Why did you faint?" His voice was still hoarse, lacking strength.

Ji Lianyun immediately apologized, "I'm sorry, I didn't know I would faint for so long after cutting my wrist."

Cutting his wrist?

Tang Ning hadn't expected that to be the answer.

Wasn't it just moments ago that he and Ji Lianyun were walking back, and Ji Lianyun suddenly vomited blood and fainted?

Could it be that the true human Ji Lianyun had been asleep all this time after saving Lin Yun by donating blood, only to truly awaken now?

Tang Ning looked at Ji Lianyun, perplexed and puzzled. Ji Lianyun, under his gaze, began to look increasingly distressed. He pressed his forehead, the veins on his face seeming to bulge like tiny pythons about to burst forth. "When I lost consciousness, did I do something again?"

He asked in agony.

He truly seemed to be in pain.

As if he were the real human Ji Lianyun.

Tang Ning had regained some strength, and he softly reached out his hand, using gentle fingertips to massage Ji Lianyun's temple. Though Tang Ning had only recently emerged from his own torment, he was now trying his best to alleviate the other's suffering.

Ji Lianyun seemed surprised that Tang Ning would help him massage his temples. He opened his eyes, his deep gaze staring blankly at Tang Ning. The bulging veins on his face subsided, and the anguish on his face lessened.

Could it be that the massage Tang Ning was giving him was effective?

"What benefits do you gain from intimate contact with me?" Tang Ning asked.

Ji Lianyun looked terrible. His complexion was ashen, no different from that of a corpse. He was cold to the touch, blood still trickling from his lips. Tang Ning was genuinely worried that Ji Lianyun might collapse at any moment.

Compared to the ghostly bridegroom, Tang Ning would much rather receive protection from the real Ji Lianyun.

The tarot cards mentioned that certain interactions with him could bring benefits. If his kisses, hugs, or touches could restore Ji Lianyun to health, Tang Ning would gladly do so.

At Tang Ning's question, Ji Lianyun fell silent for a moment, seemingly lost in thought, before he spoke, "I married you initially on the advice of a fortune teller. He said that being with you would prevent me from dying of illness."

"But truth be told, I never had the intention of marrying you at first."

Ji Lianyun looked at Tang Ning, each word uttered softly, carrying an indescribable sadness. "I know my time is short, I am sick, and I have little money. Someone like me shouldn't be marrying anyone."

"But then your grandfather approached me. He said he wanted to entrust you to me, and at first, I refused."

Ji Lianyun paused for a moment, his tone of sorrow tinged with tenderness. He whispered, "Your grandfather brought a photo of you."

"You may not believe it, and it might sound frivolous, but I fell in love with you at first sight."