Chapter 31

My mother started sobbing while my grandmother stood there gaping. Despite the severe look from my father, I hesitated to move.

"From now on, our son is dead!"

"Where do you want him to go, Boobal?" intervened my mother, crying. "Without us, he couldn't survive on his own. He doesn't know how to hunt! He's going to starve to death. I'm begging you, take back your command!"

My father turned away and said harshly, "Finally, it's a good thing that he can't hunt. When he gets hungry, we will see if he thinks of protecting her or eating her. Don't try to stop him; I want him to leave." Swishing his tail, he went away to shed some bitter tears.

"Fine! I'm leaving. I prefer to be with her than with you."

"Stop being mean. Your father said that in anger. Go and apologize to him. Tell him that this zebra doesn't mean anything to you."

"Certainly not, mum! This zebra, I'm in love with her. And I meant every word I said. I will not hurt her, and I will not let anybody else hurt her. Goodbye, mother."

"You are leaving us for her? How could you?" My mother protested in reproach.

"You did leave your mother and brothers, a wonderful and caring family, for my father. So why wouldn't I leave you for her? Let me tell you something, you are not the only couple on Earth who love each other so much."

I went away with those words full of cynicism, leaving my mother speechless. There I was, on my own, with no family, no home! I was big and strong, but not independent when it came to hunting. Nevertheless, I didn't regret my decision.

I passed the lions' territory quickly and reached the herd of zebras. They were all asleep, except for Gwendolyn, who was having a deep discussion with some ugly thing. Jealousy arose in my gut. I grunted, hiding behind a bush, and she heard me. Abandoning her ugly companion, she came towards me and smiled at me. My jealousy disappeared. I lied on my back, she put her head on my chest, and I told her about my sad situation.

"You did very well! This morning, the lions attacked us." She trembled while saying this. "I nearly got caught. Fortunately, Xoro, my cousin, the one I was talking with, jumped to my defense."

I cuddled her tightly. "You have nothing to worry about now. I won't leave you even for a second, and I will also look after your fellows."

She kissed me passionately, and my desire for her hit me hard. I made love to her. Early in the morning, she woke up and rewarded me with a smile full of mischief.

"Thanks a lot for the delicious night. You were great," she whispered, her cheeks blushing from our passionate lovemaking.

"It was just a preview, my dear," I said, winking.

The entire night we were trying several positions. Each of them transported us to nirvana.

My stomach chose this magic timing to cry out for food, and Gwendolyn's face immediately saddened. Fortunately, at that moment, we heard the neigh of a zebra. I jumped up and went to see what was going on. My friends, the lionesses, visited us. I launched myself in their direction, baring my teeth. As soon as they saw me, they turned and fled.

An old zebra, the head of the herd, approached me.

"You saved us. Thank you very much! What's your name, and what are you doing here?"

"My name is Inson. I came to visit Gwendolyn, a zebra from your herd with whom I'm in love."

"Gwendolyn? I don't know anyone of that name."

"He's talking about me, uncle!" Gwendolyn presented herself proudly next to me.

The old zebra stared at us one after another and closed his eyes. Shaking its head, it opened its eyes.