Chapter 14

I was eating alone, as usual, thinking about Oscar. His health had worried me for some time. He had lost a lot of weight, his skin was dry, his eyes had lost their brightness, and his teeth no longer dazzled. I refrained from questioning him and asked my parents about his health. They claimed ignorance. Liars!

I finished my meal when he came back. His skin was peeling so much that it was leaving a trail of dust behind him. Sadness and fear embraced my heart. He avoided my eyes. We set out for a walk and we laid down on the grass. He continued his lesson on seduction.

"Women are greedy creatures, Robinson. They are never happy with what they have and always want more. And men are supposed to play along." I gave him a blank look. "Let me give you some hints so you can keep your head straight! You should always: Let the women have the last word or they will never shut up. Constantly compliment them on their beauty and clothes. Recite love poems all day long. Shower them with kisses and caresses, they love to be kissed on the palm of their hands and neck. On the other hand, you shouldn't: Spoil them with gifts, they will expect a lot from that point on. Put them on a pedestal, they will never come back to reality and will look down on you. Show your weaknesses, otherwise, they will take the opportunity to trample you. That would be it. What do you think?"

"Are women worthy of all that effort?"

"Women are our opium, Robinson! There is no elixir in the world more powerful than their love. I hope you meet a gentle and passionate woman. You will know at that moment what you will be ready to do for her. Certain men lose their mind, whereas others give up on their life."

I remained silent. The world is full of women, so why lose our minds for just one woman? That's ridiculous!

My last lesson ended. From that point, Oscar would often leave me alone and come home only to sleep. Weirdly enough, on the two last days, he didn't come home and his personal effects were missing too. I was worried. I saddled my horse and crossed the neighborhood. I found him in the paradise-like place, where he taught me meditation. He was lying on the ground. I approached him and discovered that his lower limbs had been reduced to ashes. He held his personal effects in his right hand.

I stared at him, stunned. In an impulsive gesture, I tried to raise him. It was a mistake, my touch reduced his shoulders and torso to dust. Only his head remained intact. I bit my fingers.

"Do not feel guilty! It's not your fault!"

"What is happening to you?"

"I am dying."

"No, no, no! Don't die! Don't leave me!"

My heart was beating fast and tears were streaming down my cheeks.

"Don't cry. I'm glad you came. I have a favor to ask you. When my soul leaves my body, gather my ashes and my personal effects and throw them in the pool of Chocolate People. This pool is located in a secret place around 50 kms from here. I will guide you there."

"Don't die!"

"Remember what I have taught you! The body expires, but not the soul. When you do what I have asked, turn back immediately. This place has to remain a secret. Promise me that you will speak about it to nobody."

I promised him, and his head turned into dust. Devastated, I looked at it and did not have the guts to touch it.

"Wipe off your tears and be strong!" Oscar's voice whispered. "Pick up my ashes and my stuff, get on your horse, and let yourself be guided."

I emptied the horse's bag which contained some carrots and put his ashes and his stuff in it. Following his voice, I galloped as fast as possible, questions flooding my mind.