Chapter 20

"WHAAT DID YOUU HEEAR ABOOUT MEE?"

My monster-like voice scared her. She hid her ears with her hands.

"You ate ... my friends?"
"YEEES! I DEVOUURED THE FAAT SPUUDS!"

Her eyes opened wide in amazement as if she had expected denial on my part.

"I WANT YOUU TO LEEAVE RIGHT NOOOW!" I pointed her the way out.

"Why did you eat my friends?" She came closer to me slowly, not to scare me off.

"DON'T YOUU DAARE APPROACH MEE!" I threatened, placing myself on all fours to scare her off, but as stubborn as she was, she continued to move forward.

"Please, answer me! I need to know."

"PEOPLE OF YOUR KIIIND HAVE FRUUUIT FLESH AND I COULDN'T REEESIST IT WHEN I CAME TO VISIT YOU. UNFORTUNATELY, I COULD NOTTTT DIGESTT THEM, SO I KEPT VOMITINGGGG THEM EVERYYY TIMEEE I ATE!"

After that, I told her about the curse that had poisoned my family. A normal girl would have run towards the exit at top speed, but she sighed and smiled.

"Thank heavens you are not a monster! I knew that there must be a plausible reason for your behavior!"

Joyful, she launched herself towards me and I stepped backward. She didn't know the kind of risk she was running by approaching me like that. I kept myself at a distance and put on a threatening look, but she wasn't scared.

"Why didn't you eat me?"

I lowered my head cursing my stupid grandfather and my shitty nature, when I felt her palm on my cheek. I closed my eyes and savored her touch on my skin. The softness emanating from her hand calmed my aggressiveness. As if by magic, I regained my mind-blowing face. Eased, I held her strongly in my arms and inhaled her perfumes. I had missed her so much!

"My sweet little princess!"

Tears of joy rolled down her cheeks. She caressed my body lovingly. I shivered. To be careful, I delicately pushed back her hands off my body.

"I'm sorry for your friends." I wanted to disappear thousands of miles under the Earth.

She looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't apologize! It's the curse that forces you to behave like this!"

"I'm an evil person. I have killed so many people and if you are alive, it's because I failed to kill you. I deserve to die for my actions."

Her vanilla-scented finger suddenly stopped my words, but awakened my desire. I stepped back.

"Don't talk like that! I would rather die than see you dead. You must live a long life, it's my fondest wish."

I looked at her with tears in my eyes. She was as in love with me as I was with her. I sighed.

"Why are you never angry with me?"

"Because I love you." She lowered her head and made a sulking face. "Once you made me angry. It was when you said you would never come back to see me. I thought I would go crazy!"

I pulled her to my chest and covered her with kisses.

"You silly! I only wanted to protect you. Do you remember my tongue around your neck?"

"Of course, I remember, but you didn't leave me after that, but long before that. Why?"

My Gwendolyn was clever.

"Each time I came to see you, I felt nervous, and I was hurting you. That's why I kept my distance. Do you understand? I was too stupid at that time to realize that I had been in love with you!" I smiled, remembering the way my heart raced during our first meeting. "According to the curse, I'm condemned not to fall in love. Somehow I did. Since then, my behavior has been out of control. All I've been thinking is to devour you."