It was nice.

I stared out of the window trying to guess where it was she would be taking me. I had never seen this part of New York before.

"I don't want you to be stressed about this," Nova suddenly said, "I was really worried about you today Mariah."

"I'm sorry,"  I whispered, dropping my gaze to my lap. I didn't want her to be worried, all of this was just my past trauma resurfacing, I don't want it to affect her too.

"I don't want you to be sorry, I want you to know it's okay to not be a perfectionist, what you can do already is good enough for me," she said softly.

"It's- this is just a lot" I admitted. This all felt too sudden.

"I know," Nova replied, "and I want to do anything I can to make it easier for you— I don't want this to be a stressful job, I want it to be you getting paid for doing something you love"

"I don't know if I love cooking anymore," I said hesitantly. I don't know where the spark went, I really don't. I just know that it's not there anymore.

"Why?" Nova asked.

I paused for a few seconds, trying to decide on whether or not I should tell her about everything.

I mean— it can't get more personal than this.

"You don't have to if you don't—"

"No, it's fine," I said, cutting her off. I sucked in a deep breath before beginning.

"It's just— at culinary school, the people there, and the stress and— it was just a lot." I said, trying to water it down.

"Did somebody say something to you...?" Nova trailed off.

I opened and closed my mouth, halting what I was going to say.

Too late to turn back now.

"Yeah..."

"Were they bad things?" she questioned. I silently shook my head feeling the tears starting to brim in my eyes.

"I'm sorry Mariah..." She said trailing off, "But I know whatever it was they said was far from correct, and... although I can't change their words, I want to change your mind, because I know it's not true, and I want you to know it."
Nova said while gently grabbing my hand.

And shortly after a smile broke out on my lips.

Her words made me so happy– she made me happy.

"I love your smile."

And as soon as I processed her words I felt a heat creep on my face.

"Were here, let's go," Nova said, opening the car door and stepping out.

The butterflies were still swirling throughout my body, as I sat in the empty car.

Soon enough the car door opened. I got out and we began walking to the back of the unfamiliar building.

"Were going through the back? Seriously?" I asked jokingly.

"I didn't want the sign in the front to give it away,"

As we approached the back of the brick building the door suddenly opened. There was a guy holding the door open for me and Nova as we walked in.

I narrowed my eyes as we went into the overall dark building.

"Nova where are-"

I accidentally cut myself off as my question was soon answered. My eyes quickly darted around the neon lit bowling alley that we were now in.