(C. 34) An Offer

They had barley jumped off the ship, their parachutes billowing out behind them, when the explosion happened. Y/n shut her eyes against it. She trusted in her ability, but it didn't stop her from being somewhat afraid, from feeling awful at having to put Kyoka through such a thing.

As they made their descent, so did the Moby Dick. The four of them hit the water just after it crashed into the water by the bridge. The sun was setting, staining the sky purple and their skins golden as they pulled themselves from the water.

Atsushi was on all fours on the ground, spitting up water. Akutagawa and Y/n watched him sadly as Melville had his eyes fixed on the place where the Moby Dick had found its final port.

"Why?" Atsushi asked once he had caught his breath, his voice broken, tears falling quickly from his eyes, "Why her?"

Akutagawa coughed.

"Kyoka..." he trailed off, turning to the water, "what a fool. If she hadn't embraced the hope of living in the light, she wouldn't have had to die in vain."

"Stop sounding like Koyo." Y/n sighed, crossing her arms, the act having been dropped, "She is braver than either of you will ever be. She dares to hope. She tries."

Atsushi looked up at Y/n. Getting to his feet, his eyes narrowed with anger.

"She trusted you!" he yelled accusatorially, "She trusted you! You're heartless. I was wrong about you, so so wrong. You're just like every other Mafioso out there. How could you just let her do that!"

"This is how it ought to have been, Atsushi." Dazai cut in as he approached with the Agency's President, coming to a stop before his subordinate.

Akutagawa, Atsushi, and Y/n moved as one, turning to face him. Relief washed over Y/n in waves. She had known he'd be okay, her ability had made sure of that. Still, there had been a nagging fear. There was always a nagging fear, especially because of her husbands own ability.

"Dazai... Boss?"

"Kyoka overcame herself and saved the city with the high mindedness expected of the Agency." Dazai sighed, slipping his hands into his pockets.

"But there was no reason she had to die!" Atsushi yelled back at his mentor.

"True, this is a merciless conclusion." Dazai conceded, "But theres a reason that it had to be this way."

"Is it?" Y/n asked, unable to keep her secret, or her joy, at bay any longer, "A merciless conclusion I mean."

She couldn't help herself. Akutagawa turned to her, stunned.

"Kyoka died."

"Did she though?" Y/n crossed her arms, smiling mischievously.

"I take it this means we are in fact still on speaking terms?" Dazai asked, turning to her.

"I don't know," Y/n said in a sing song voice, shrugging, "we'll have to wait and see. Or better yet, why don't you tell me?"

Fukuzawa took a step forward.

"My ability, All Men Are Created Equal," he began, "has an effect only on my subordinates. That is, only on members of the Agency."

"The ability allows for control over the output of the abilities of another." Dazai continued, picking up where Fukuzawa had left off, "Atsushi, the reason you are able to control your tiger abilities now is because you joined the Agency. And Kyoka just passed the entrance exam, right in the instant before impact."

Atsushi's eyes grew wide at the implication. As if his surprise, as if this revelation, had drawn her there, Kyoka appeared beside them. Demon Snow placed her gently on the ground with a puff of wind. Atsushi gasped, turning to her.