(C. 23) Apologies

A/N it is obscene that it is november of 2023 and I am writing chapters that wont be posted until march of 2024.

----

When Atsushi came to, it was to find that the tiger had saved him. He examined his still transformed hands carefully before turning to look at the mess that was once Y/n. Her chest was split open in the middle, her ribs poking out around the edges of the wound from the missile, and her head was smashed.

He put a hand to his mouth, gagging at the sight. The urge to vomit only grew as he watched in horror, Y/n's flesh beginning to stitch itself back together. After about a minute, the whole thing was done and she sat up with a gasp.

"Fuck!" she yelled, "That was a bad one."

Eyes falling on Atsushi as she got to her feet, she smiled.

"Good to see you made it."

"The.. my tiger, he protected me."

"It's good to be friends with your ability." Y/n nodded in approval, "Now come on, we have to get the doll to Osamu."

More gunshots rained down on them from overhead as they ran from the street they had landed in. Turning their corner, Atsushi gasped at the sight of a derailed train that was blocking off part of the next block. People wandered like zombies around it, eyes red and leaking blood.

"Come on!" Y/n called to him, "There is no time!"

Another barrage of bullets began and without thinking, Atsushi scooped Y/n into his arms, dodging them as he ran forward. He barley got halfway down the block before she pushed herself out of his grip. Stumbling away a few steps, she clutched at the fabric of her ruined dress above her heart.

"Are you okay?" Atsushi asked, taking a step forward.

"Don't ever fucking touch me with out my permission!" she shouted between pants, "Do you understand?!"

"I tho-"

"Do you understand!" she yelled again, straightening herself up and looking at him with a fearsome gaze.

"Yes!" he quickly replied, "I'm sorry, we... it's just.. we have to go!"

"I... I'm sorry, you're right." she said, shaking her head slightly, "I... yes."

They began to run again, dodging bullets and victims of Q's curse as they did. Strange purple eggs lined the streets but there was no time to wonder what they were as they rounded another corner, desperately seeking Dazai.

Y/n skidded to a halt suddenly but Atsushi continued forward, barley noticing her absence.

"Atsushi!" she yelled after him, "It's an oil truck!"

Just as the words left her mouth, a bullet hit the crashed vehicle. The explosion that ensued threw them both back a long ways, leaving them laying on the ground in pain.

"Shut up." Atsushi mumbled to himself, trying to get to his feet, to grab the doll several feet away.

Y/n was trying to do the same. She managed to sit up but immediately lost her balance, having hit her head fairly hard. Dazai stepped out of the smoke, gently stooping over and picking the doll up in his hands.

"Good job." he said softly as it dematerialized in his grip, "You both win."

His arm was in a sling but he smiled down at the pair. Tears pooled in Y/n's eyes as she struggled to her feet.

"It's dangerous here!" Atsushi gasped, remembering the sniper, "They will shoot you from above!"

"I wonder about that." Dazai hummed, pulling a remote from his jacket and pressing the button on it.

The eggs around the city opened all at once, releasing a thick purple fog into the air that rose to the city's skyline while leaving the streets clear.

"Osamu," Y/n began, taking a stumbling step forward as she held onto her clearly broken arm, "I... How..."

The words died in her throat as Dazai turned to face her and her alone. Walking over to where she stood, he looked down at her kindly.

"Osamu, I'm so sorry." Y/n said, her voice feeble and pleading as she looked at the ground.

He pulled her into his chest with his good arm.

"Is this okay?" he asked gently and Y/n nodded, clutching onto the fabric of his coat with her good arm. He held her closer in response, pressing her body tightly to his. "God, I love you."

"Osamu, I'm so sorry." she sobbed into the fabric, "I am so sorry, I was just so caught up in the moment? I didn't think to look any fur-"

"No!" Dazai exclaimed, pulling away from her and lifting her chin so their eyes met. With a soft touch, he held her teary face, "No no no, Love. No sorries. I'm the one who fucked up, I never should have doubted you. I... I'm so glad you're okay."

"I'm okay!" Y/n exclaimed, laughing slightly as her tears of sorrow turned to those of joy, "Osamu, I am glad you're okay! I would have been fine no matter what but you..."

"You know I don't like it when you talk about you're life like that, like it's meaningless." he said, wiping a tear from her eye with his thumb. Y/n reached her hands up to his, pressing it into her skin, "It's not, it's everything. You're everything."

"You're the one who's everything, dummy." she sniffed, "I thought you would have learned that by now."

After their sweet reunion, Dazai helped both Y/n and Atsushi down into the safety of a train station staircase to hide them from the police officers, Mafiosos, and Agency members alike most certainly running around in all the chaos.

"You both did so well." he said, helping them to sit down on the floor, leaning against the wall, "Yokohama is saved because of you."

Y/n laughed, leaning her head to the side as she looked at Atsushi.

"Hear that?" she asked playfully, "You're a hero."

"You are too." he replied indignantly, his cheeks flushing slightly pink at all the praise.

"There is still more to come, the Guild will attack again. I'm sure of it. I'll have other chances to be a hero, you take this one."

"She's right." Dazai sighed, taking a seat on the stairs and looking over at them, "As long as the enemy have Q, they can just repeat this carnage as many times as they need."

"What do we do?" Atsushi asked.

"I'm reminded of a quote." Y/n stated suddenly, "It's just a line in a book I read a long time ago. The head may err, but never the blood."

"I was thinking of that too!" Atsushi exclaimed in surprise and Y/n smiled.

"Well read, I like that." she nodded approvingly.

"I... I think I have an idea."