(C. 21) Prisoner

A/N A fun fact about the prequel to this book, Little Doll, is that I was inspired to watch it by rewatching the Hunchback of Notre Dame one night for the first time since I was a kid. I just realized none of you know this and I think it's a rather funny fact about the story.

——

A week had passed since both Atsushi and Y/n had disappeared. He was mad with worry. Of course, he was used to it with both of them, and was almost certain he knew who was behind it all. Atsushi had a bounty on his head for goodness sake, and with Y/n and his opposing jobs, their conflicting schedules, he was used to sometimes not having a chance to see her for several days on end.

The real thing that ate at him, was the fact that not even Chuuya seemed to know where she had run off to which meant, she was most likely captured. It heartened him to think that at least their main enemy at the moment was also after Atsushi, that the two were probably together at the very least, but that didn't stop the thoughts of terrible possibilities from entering his mind's eye. He could see her, chained to some wall, bloody and beaten by an unknown assailant trying to use her for her power.

There was also the way they had left things, the way he had left things, between them. The last time he had spoken to her, he had yelled at her, accused her of betraying his trust. He had lashed out, blinded by rage and now... now he wasn't sure if he would ever get to see her again. The worst part was that he couldn't even go after her. Everything that had happened, discovering the Guild's plan since they had taken Q a few days before, there was no time. They had made the choice long ago, Yokohama always came first.

Y/n had woken in a cold, grey cell and been allowed contact with no one. She had spent a week alone with only her thoughts for company and the skimpy meals given to her through the slot in her door. The lack of food wasn't all that bad. No, she'd dealt with more restrictive circumstances in that regard before. It was the lack of human contact that was getting to her.

Since she had met Mori at eight years old, she had barley had a moment to herself. At first, it was a curse, plagued by a man obsessed. Then? A blessing, having found new, dear friends with whom she wanted to spend all her time with, marrying a man who she wished never to be parted from.

She'd spent the first day or so crying. Not because of her predicament, but rather because of the worry she knew Dazai must be feeling and the fight they had had moments before she had been taken. She feared the idea that he might believe she had left him more than any potential treatments she might receive as a prisoner to her unknown captives.

When the heavily armed guards opened the door to her cell and lead her wordlessly to some unknown destination, she felt no fear. There was only longing, only anguish at the person she now assumed would probably never forgive her. Dazai could be so stubborn, so blind, especially when he was angry.

It was a pleasant surprise when she was shoved into the fancy room to not only see Atsushi within it's walls as well, handcuffed like she was, but to get her first glimpse of the outside world since she had been taken. Out of the window behind the desk were only blue skies and clouds. She inferred from this that they were either at the top of a very tall building, or on an airship of some sort. Considering the odd noises she had heard from the past few days, the almost constant rumbling sound, she assumed it was the latter.

"Are you enjoying your cruise on the Moby Dick?" asked the man behind the desk as Y/n was pushed to her knees beside Atsushi.

He had his back to them, looking out the window as he sat in his gilded chair. As he spoke, he slowly turned to face them. Y/n had to hold back a laugh, the play at power was ridiculous. They both got to their feet.