(C. 17) Car Crash

Tanizaki screamed and Kunikida felt his breath catch in his throat. It was a terrible sight, a horrible way to die. And what was that thing she had told them right before dying, was she some suicidal maniac too? How on earth were they going to explain this to Dazai? He didn't even know Y/n had been with them, and now she was dead.

He was quickly pulled from his panicked thoughts as the boy grew another vine, plunging it into the ground. It broke through the asphalt with terrifying ease.

"Alright, job's done." he said after a few moments, "Let's pull out before the local police arrive. I'm borrowing your sister!"

"What are you doing with Naomi?" Tanizaki asked, his demeanor changing completely, his horror at what had happened to Y/n being replaced by fear of what could happen to his sister.

"I'm not assigned to her so I don't know." the man casually responded, paying no mind to the wreckage of a corpse a few feet away from him, "Confine her... torture her I guess."

"Don't think you can get away with this!" Kunikida threatened, the tentacles tightening their grasp as he struggled.

"This is work." the man shrugged, "You moralists would never understand."

The sickening sound of flesh against asphalt began to fill their ears and each person present turned to face the source of the sound. Horror redoubled, they watched as Y/n's limbs and torso inched towards her head, stitching themselves back together as they did so.

"What on earth..." the blond man muttered, a look of confusion replacing the one of assumed power that had rested there before.

All in one piece once again and soaked in her own blood, Y/n sat up.

"Surprise! I'm back from the dead, isn't that exciting?" she said playfully as she got to her feet and smoother her bloodstained skirt, "You guys are fucked now."

She held out her hand to the road and everyone's gaze followed her hand's movement.

"A truck?" the blond man questioned.

"A truck." she confirmed with a little smile.

"Things could get nasty if they saw this, but it wont stop us." he scoffed, returning his attention to Kunikida and Tanizaki above.

"If you say so." Y/n sighed, walking over so she stood by the highway's barrier.

Once she reached it, she turned around. Crossing her arms, she leaned back against it.

"Oh please, don't stop on my account." she laughed.

Uncertainly, the blond man looked back up at Tanizaki who had begun to speak.

"Sure, the Agency has a sense of morals." he said, responding to the boy's earlier comment, "But Naomi is different to me. Justice, morals, ego... she is so much more to me than any of those things that I can't even compare them."

"Huh? Hasn't the truck noticed us?" Y/n gasped in fake surprise as the boy turned to look at the vehicle coming towards them once again, "That's what you're thinking, right?"

"Who are you?" he asked, shifting his gaze to her.

Y/n laughed, a cold, heartless laugh.

"I'm the Shark" she spat out through gritted teeth, "and you should be very afraid right now."

The man's eyes widened with recognition at the name and he turned back to the road. The truck was upon them now.

"No! Do we look like part of the road to the driver!?" he exclaimed.

"For Naomi? I'd gladly burn the world." Tanizaki claimed just as the truck barrled into them.

Released from the grasp of Lovecraft's ability, Tanizaki and Kunikida fell to the ground. Y/n walked over as they stumbled to their feet.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions." she said carefully, having dealt with this before.

"Dazai never mentioned you had an ability." Tanizaki nodded.

"What was all that about!?" Kunikida cut in, clearly more stressed about the situation than his coworker.

"My ability is called Shark. I can't die." she responded simply, hands clasped in front of her bloodstained dress.

"Is that where you get that name from?" Tanizaki asked, "No one even knows you have one though-"

"So that wouldn't make sense." Y/n cut him off, "No. I told you, my friend gave me that name. It just also applied to my ability, which didn't have a name at the time."

"Sharks can die though so why call it that?" Kunikida asked, pulling out his notebook.

"I'd prefer it if you didn't write this down." Y/n sighed, "It would be a lot of trouble if any of this got out."

Kunikida hesitated for a second before nodding. Closing the book, he placed it back in the pocket of his jacket.

"When I die, I go to a dark place full of strings of golden light." Y/n explained. She had a script after years of the same conversation and it was easier to stick to it, "The strands represent potential futures, I get to pick which one I wake up in. I can't see more than a little bit down the line, a few days tops, but still, it is incredibly powerful."

"You sniff out the right futures, like a shark smelling blood." Tanizaki said, realization filling his features.

"Yes." she nodded, smiling slightly as she did so.

"It could be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands." Kunikida thought aloud.

"I don't use it for the Mafia, if that is what you are wondering." Y/n sighed, rolling her eyes in annoyance at the assertion, "I mean, I used to, back when I was a kid. Now I only use it if I really have to, or to get my friends out of a bind like this one. And, before you say something like 'but someone could force you' or whatever, there is literally nothing that could stop me, in a situation where I am being forced, from picking other futures than the one requested of me. So there, we good now?"

Kunikida and Tanizaki exchanged a look before turning back to Y/n who stood expectantly before them.

"Yeah, we're good." Kunikida nodded at last and she smiled brightly.

"Thank you for saving us." Tanizaki said, stepping forward and bowing slightly.

Y/n waved him off.

"It was nothing, you guys would have figured something out eventually, I'm sure of it. I just put the truck on the road to make everything a little easier for you."

"Still-" Kunikida began to say, but Y/n cut him off, hearing sirens in the distance.

"You guys called the cops before we arrived, yeah? We should probably head out before they get here. Or, I should at any rate."

"No, you're right." Kunikida nodded, "We should leave. Will you be coming with us back to the Agency?"

It was almost like he expected her to say yes, hoped she would switch sides. Y/n laughed lightly.

"No, I'll be heading to the Mafia to report back to Rin, he is my keeper after all." there was a rueful, sharp edge to her voice as she spoke that didn't escape the notice of either detective, "I'll see you guys around though, I have a feeling we are all going to be working together quite closely very soon."

----

A/N I am just now realizing how many stories I have where the reader has a nickname or whatever that is based on an animal. We have the Shark here, the Port Mafia's Lion in my Akutagawa x Reader story Leo, Leonis, Bunny in Star Crossed (Chuuya x Reader). Why did I do that.