(C. 18) Revelations

Dazai and Atsushi sat at the train station, waiting for the arrival of their coworkers. After the fiasco with the Mafia using them as bait for the Guild, the Agnecy was doing their absolute best to keep the two girls safe. This meant giving them an escort to their new safe house, a job given to Dazai and Atsushi while Kunikida and Tanizaki carried out the initial rescue.

"That train is late, the one they're supposed to be on." Atsushi worried aloud, breaking the silence that had fallen between them.

"Mori from the Port Mafia is the human manifestation of streamlining." Dazai sighed, not moving from his relaxed position leaning up against the back of the bench with his hands behind his head, "He controls the situation with cold, mathematical detachment. You can count on him to take advantage of the fact we are letting our guard down.

Atsushi knew better than to ask Dazai what he meant by that and the pair fell into a comfortable silence once more. Worry clouded Atsushi's mind. Worry for the interns, for the Agency as a whole, worry for the man who sat beside him and his wife. Where was Y/n in all this anyways? Atsushi couldn't comprehend how they got past the fear they must face every day in their relationship, considering that they both worked dangerous jobs for opposing organizations.

"Atsushi," Dazai began, getting to his feet suddenly and pulling Atsushi from his thoughts as he did so.

"Yes?" Atsushi asked, looking up at him from where he still sat on the bench.

"I have an unavoidable item on my agenda." Dazai stated, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"What is it?"

Fear shot through Atsushi like a bullet. The seriousness in Dazai's tone could only mean two things. Either there was something genuinely wrong, or he was about to do something fairly stupid. He motivations were confirmed to be the latter as he said something about needing to find a bathroom and ran off.

Once out of Atsushi's sight, Dazai slowed to a walk, following the footsteps leading to a nearby abandoned warehouse. The truth was, he didn't have to pee at all. As they had been sitting there, waiting for the train, he had caught sight of HIguchi, someone he knew to work for the Mafia. Fearing his former Boss' amazing capabilities in planning missions, Dazai had thrown the first excuse he could think of at Atsushi before running off to see what the Mafia was up to.

The warehouse was dimly lit, sunlight streaming in through it's missing wall and patchy roof. He stopped, a few feet into its shade, waiting for the enemy to reveal itself.

"There's no one watching us here." he called out into the dark, his voice smooth and although fairly light hearted, holding a dangerous streak within it, "You ought to come out."

In a flash, there was a knife being held to his throat by Gin, one of the Mafia's esteemed Black Lizard assassins. Higuchi too stepped out of the shadows, coming to a stand still a few feet away from him. Dazai just smiled all the while, nothing damaging his docile demeanor.

"Hello, Gin." he said, looking to her out of the corner of his eye as he did so, "You've grown taller."

Higuchi cocked her gun, raising her arm and pointing the barrel straight at his head.

"So you knew we were watching you." she noted.

"I was the one who created the Port Mafia's surveillance techniques, after all." Dazai hummed, "So, what do you want from me?"

"Don't you think this gun tells you what we want?" Higuchi harshly replied.

"I don't." Dazai nearly laughed at the idea, "For a group of assassins, you've recruited some lousy members."

Turning his attention back to Gin, Dazai raised one of his arms, taping the edge of the blade she held to his throat with the tips of his fingers.

"Gin, would you please put this away? It's dangerous." he politely requested and she immediately obeyed.

Higuchi scoffed at the sight before raising her own gun over her shoulder, taking her aim off Dazai before putting the weapon away.

"You're right," she admitted as she did so, "that's not why we're here. I have a message from the boss."

"From Mori, huh? I wonder what it is."

"The message is this: Dazai, are you interested in coming back to the Port Mafia executives?"

This time, Dazai really couldn't hold back his laughter. It was ridiculous, all of it.

"Ah, what a pleasant invitation." he said, wiping his eyes of the tears that had accrued there.

"I have looked at your records." Higuchi revealed, "Your blood is Mafia black, more so than anyone in this nation."

"You clearly haven't done your research on my dear wife then." Dazai mused, a wry smile creeping across his face.

"Your wife?" Higuchi repeated in confusion.

"Don't tell me you didn't know?" Dazai laughed, his confidence and casual tone keeping Higuchi on her toes, "She is even your executive, I believe. You really need to get better at your job."

"Y/n?" Higuchi asked, brow furrowed.

Dazai simply smiled in response.

"It doesn't matter. It does not matter who you are allegedly involved with or what their track records are. Like I said, your blood is Mafia black."

"People change." Dazai sighed, "I mean, Gin over there was a dainty little girl, barely as tall as my chest, when I first met her."

"Don't change the subject." Gin requested politely, looking away as her cheeks flushed pink.

"You're.. you're a girl?" Higuchi stuttered in surprise at the revelation.

"It's amazing you made it this far in the Mafia, with your observation skills." Dazai teased.

Higuchi ignored his remark, quickly regaining her composure.

"Something doesn't add up, though." Dazai wondered aloud, "Why would Mori set people aside for this charade?"

"In order to protect you." Higuchi responded simply.

"To protect me?" Dazai repeated, it was his turn to be confused.

"The boss has set Q free." Higuchi admitted, her stress at the notion visible on her face as her eyes narrowed slightly.

Dazai's breath caught in his throat.

"Impossible. Do you have any idea what he's unleashed? Q is a walking catastrophe. He'll doom everyone, friend or foe."

"The Port Mafia doesn't choose its means to reach its ends."

"Why do you think Q was imprisoned in the first place?" Dazai asked, his voice cold and harsh, his brow furrowed with concern, "It was because he has the most abhorrent ability of them all: mind control. Q's curse attacks the minds of his victims with hallucinations. They begin to attack the people around them indiscriminately as a result. The curse is triggered by the destruction of the doll at it's root. Only a receiver is cursed when it happens and in order to become a receiver, one must hurt Q. They show a bruise that looks as though they were grabbed by someone, which makes them easy to distinguish at least."

A sudden realization struck Dazai.

"You mentioned you came here to protect me... Damn!"

Without a second thought, he darted out of the warehouse and back to where he had left Atsushi on the train station platform.