(C. 32) Descent

A/n this part takes foreverrrr to write in all the stories I include it in but it's so vital.

------

The world was a mist of black, hazes of green and purple mixing within its boundaries. Y/n opened her eyes. She was floating, weightless in the abyss.

"Finally." she hummed softly.

Pin pricks of light shot like shooting stars around her, leaving glowing trails. Tenderly, she reached out, tapping one of the points. It grew, forming a glowing ring around an image. Atsushi was panting, hanging on for dear life as Fitzgerald loomed over him. In the distance was a huddle of black fabric.

"Nope."

She tapped the edge of the ring, sending it away. The next star she opened revealed a different image: Fitzgerald was dead but, so was Atsushi. Akutagawa reigned, victorious.

"Well, he'd certainly like that but nope."

Y/n repeated this process a handful of times. Maybe seven, maybe ten, she wasn't really keeping track. At last, she landed on the right one. It was an image of Dazai holding his arms out to her. In the background stood Atsushi, Akutagawa, the old man to whom the Moby Dick belonged, and Kyoka. Her analytic gaze softened slightly as she watched Atsushi pulled the girl into her arms.

"Oh I like this one."

Bringing her hands to it, Y/n grabbed the image, pulling it tight into her chest. She shut her eyes tight, curling into a ball around it, holding on as tight as she could. 

A rush like falling water. A gasping breath.

Y/n opened her eyes and sat up.

Fitzgerald was a pillar of blinding light approaching the two boys sat on the ground before her, having been knocked from their feet by the sheer power he was radiating. Y/n stood and walked over to them, her boots hitting the ground firmly. Once she stood between them, she stopped. Facing Fitzgerald, Y/n held a hand out to each.

Akutagawa looked at her first, relief washing over him. Atsushi turned next.

"Oh thank goodness." he exclaimed.

They grabbed her hands and she hauled them to their feet. All the while, her penetrating stare never left Fitzgerald.

"Dazai approved of you long ago, Akutagawa." she stated firmly, "And so did I. Atsushi?"

"Yeah?"

"No one needs to give you permission."

"I-"

"No. Listen. No one needs to give you permission to live... except yourself."

Atsushi's eyes widened for a moment, his face falling slack. He nodded, his eyes narrowing as he turned back to Fitzgerald. He was nearly upon them now.

"This is the will of The Guilds leader. What is yours?" Y/n began to walk backwards, crossing her arms over her chest, "I did what I was here for, now you guys better do your part. Fight. Save our city -- your city. Kill this fucking bastard."

A slight smile broke out across Atsushi's face.

"What, Shark, did you use your ability?" Fitzgerald taunted from across the battle field, "Did you save the day?"

Y/n smirked.

"This fight is over. It was over from the moment you picked on me and the people I care about." 

Fitzgerald laughed, a crazed and terrifying noise released from any lingering inhibitions. Y/n turned her gaze back to her two charges.

"Akutagawa."

"What?" the boy in black responded shortly, his temper running thin.

"Am I a fool?" he asked, turning to look at his companion, "Is it worthless of me to want to escape those memories?"

"It is." Akutagawa replied, looking over to Atsushi. Their eyes met, "The words of your past are fundamentally unrelated to who you are now."

"I see."

They turned back to Fitzgerald, their hair whipping in the frenzied wind. Atsushi began to walk forwards.

"Y/n was right. I think Dazai already approved of you a long time ago."

Hearing it from this boy was different. Y/n was kind, had a soft spot for him. He knew that. Atsushi? Atsushi was his mortal enemy. His eyes widened momentarily before softening. Akutagawa followed Atsushi into the unknown.

"There we go." Y/n said quietly to herself, smiling softly at the sight.

She leaned against the barrier, cushioning herself against the metal with her hands. Fitzgerald stopped walking.

"Come!" he commanded and in response, both Atsushi and Akutagawa activated their abilities, throwing themselves towards him.

The fight was a brutal one, but it didn't last much longer after that. Y/n had made sure of it. Atsushi and Akutagawa had worked together, the city was saved. They were exhausted.

Akutagawa sat hunched on the floor across from Atsushi who collapsed to his knees the moment he deactivated his ability. Y/n took herself from the barrier, coming to stand between them once again.

"So, who grabbed the control panel?" she asked conversationally.

Without a word, Akutagawa grabbed it from his pocket, handing it to his mentor. Y/n nodded her thanks as both boys shakily pulled themselves back to their feet.

"Good job." her voice was soft in its approval. She turned the device over in her hands.

"I took it from him during the last attack."

Y/n hummed softly, turning the device back around and holding it out to the boys who looked at her in confusion.

"You guys are the heroes." she shrugged, "You should do the honors."

Hesitantly, Atsushi reached out and took it, letting out a sigh of relief as he slid the bar at the bottom of the screen, stopping the ships descent. He fell back to his knees only to be met with Akutagawa's shoe in his face. Y/n sighed, brining a hand to her forehead.

"I'd love to rip you to shreds right now." Akutagawa claimed. His tone was firm but his heart wasn't in the words the same way it had been earlier that day, "Unfortunately, I've used up all my strength. You'll have to make do with this. You're going to pay when we next meet."

Akutagawa placed his shoe back on the ground. At the sound of the device beeping, Y/n dropped her arm from her face, rushing to Atsushi's side. The three looked at the screen now claiming the ship was descending in horror. Frantically, Atsushi tried to stop it again only to be met with the outline of a mouse's head in purple.

"It isn't responding." Akutagawa grumbled in annoyance, taking it from Atsushi and throwing it to the ground.

They turned expectantly to Y/n.

"Okay," she said slowly, her mind frantic, "I know we make it out of here okay, just not how we make it out of here okay." She put a hand to her ear, activating the microphone in her earpiece, "'Samu?"

"Yes, Love?" came his immediate reply.

"Yeah so, uh," Y/n turned her back to Akutagawa and Atsushi, placing a hand on her hip, "they killed Fitzgerald and I used my ability so I know we all get out of this mess fine but, I didn't have time to look for details about the before or the after. The control panel isn't working. I think it's..."

"Fyodor." Dazai finished for her, "Yeah. All my screens just showed it too."

"Okay so, I don't know what to do."

"Wow!" he teased, "The great Y/n is at a loss! I gotta record you saying that."

"Dazai, we don't have time."

At the sound of his last name, he grew serious once again.

"Yeah. I know. Sorry. Here is the plan."