Target Practice (Two)

The two of them immediately pointed them at her, and surprisingly, they were eerily similar. Twins were similar, yes, but this was an unnatural similarity.

It was inhuman.

They weren't human.

As she suspected, when they spoke, it was at the same time in programmed instruction.

"V169. Show proof of your identity."

She flashed her eyes at them; the simplest way to identify herself.

No one else could do that.

They lowered their guns. One moved until she was right behind her. Also, a pre-programmed instruction. The one in front spoke.

"You don't seem like someone on the run, Vivian."

These were clones. The Vanguard military had developed them discreetly and deployed them, although no one seemed to find it suspicious that the army had over fifty pairs of twins. They were lethal once set to the right mode and could pass for humans when told to.

At the moment Vivian however knew she wasn't speaking to the clone but a controller from the Harbor. She thought clones were the worst idea ever picked up by the five territories.
Civilians didn't know a thing about it as ethical standards would have been strongly questioned. Vanguard itself had not taken them on until recently, with the President. She seemed to be one who would do whatever it took to maintain the upper hand.

"Who am I talking to?"

"General Eric. We have received calls from very important people in Mainstream, saying you are harbouring Lewis Barrow and that he took something invaluable from them."

"I have him. But do you know what he took General?"

"They didn't say."

"Then why are you even talking to me? Doesn't the administration have the slightest curiosity as to what it is he took?"

"I have ordered, Vivian. And now so do you. By six o'clock VGT tomorrow if you haven't turned in Lewis Barrow, the two of you will be level five wanted criminals across all five territories."

"I don't take orders from generals. Your rank is lower than mine."

The clone's face remained blank and emotionless but she could hear the joy in the general's voice as he replied."Not for long. You will be stripped of your title too. Also, you will have bounties on your heads, so even the mercenaries will be out for you. You are good Vivian, but you won't take a step further without getting seen."

"Getting seen isn't a problem. Throw everything you got at me, Eric. But once this is all over, I will come for you."

"If you can get through it alive, I'll be waiting." He replied confidently.

Eric Reece wasn't her biggest fan among the generals of Vanguard. None of them were her fans at all. They had fought for years to achieve their stars and titles whereas she had got hers the moment she had finished her first mission.

The clones hadn't moved since then and were just staring at her. She had changed her stance so they were on her left and right for her to be able to keep an eye on both of them. No weapons had been raised, and she assumed they wouldn't attack her. Not until six tomorrow.

"Since I've still got time, I need you to contact the Commander for me. For some reason, I can't reach him."

Both clones maintained their blank stares, taking no action.

She stepped towards one.

"Need I remind you that I am still your superior? Not until my rank is revoked will you refuse to obey a direct order."