2

=Night=

"Inhyeon ah! Inhyeon ah! Wake up, now!"

Inhyeon grumbled at the sudden tugs on her blanket.

"Ugh, what is it now?" she groggily asked, sitting up as she rubbed her eyes in confusion.

Her room was so dark, that the only light that shone into her room was the moonlight through her opened door.

Her sight became clearer as the person who had woken her up shook her arm.

"Uncle Piltan?" she called out, a bit surprised to see him.

Because as far as she remembered, he was supposed to be in prison.

"We must leave... now," he urged, grabbing her wrist and trying to pull her in.

"What, no!" Inhyeon quickly said, yanking her arm. "And what are you doing here? I thought you were in prison!"

"Eh, I'm not the only one in the prison. There were other criminals, too," her uncle shrugged. "We escaped."

"What do you think you were doing? If they get you, you'll get killed!"

Inhyeon still couldn't process much of what was happening, but then her uncle stepped into her room and began to spread out a black cloth onto the floor.

Her uncle turned to her while he opened her drawers. "And that's why we're leaving now! This kingdom is a mess! Are you going to stay?"

Inhyeon immediately shook her head as she rushed over to him and stopped him from taking out her clothes. "No! But for sure, I'm not going with you!"

"But they knew that I lived here and were going to execute anyone related to me!"

"Your wife is sick!"

"She's coming with me. She wanted to leave too! With our kids!" he cried out, tears began to leave his eyes.

"We just want to live peacefully, Inhyeon ah. But here, we live in absolute poverty, and the government is torturing us, the poor, the peasants! You've been helping my family a lot. And now, I don't want to burden you anymore, so why not just move out from this place, and start a new life? We'll do something together."

Inhyeon let out a sigh, her heart filled with mixed emotions. She then reached closer to him and gave him a reassuring hug.

"Trust me, your lives will be better after this if you change. I believe in you. And I have to step away this time," she said, patting him before he pulled away from her hug. "Promise me; that I'll see you when your kids are all grown up. For now, I can only say, 'good luck'."

Inhyeon quickly grabbed a small pouch on top of her drawer and loosened the string, taking out a key.

Without any more thought, she then gave the key to her uncle. "Take this key. It's for my boat, full of food supplies. You know where it is."

He nodded, holding the key tight in his hand. "Third giant rock, behind it, under the tree, by the river."

She smiled and nodded. He gave her one last hug and began to make his way back to the door.

He made one last turn to her and asked her again, "You sure you're not coming with us?"

"Yes," Inhyeon nodded.

"Thank you... for everything that you've done for us. Thank you so much, Inhyeon. I'll promise to stay alive."

And with that, he left her alone. Inhyeon made her way to the window and opened it a bit, just enough for her to see her uncle reunited with his wife and his kids in the back of the house.