1

~Next Day~

Inhyeon put down her basket, full of potatoes, onto the outdoor platform as she entered her relative's house area.

Suddenly two kids ran out of the house and scrambled towards her, hugging her as soon as she crouched down.

"Eonnie, our father is not home yet," the younger sister said.

Inhyeon furrowed her brows. "What? Your father never got home after the palace's guards took him?"

The kids nodded. "We didn't know what he did wrong. Please, Inhyeon eonnie, help him!"

Inhyeon shook her head, watching her younger cousins crying, begging her to free their father.

"I... I will try to find a way," she sighed in defeat. "You know how evil the king is. I got a warning too, for hanging out with Ayeong."

The kids gasped. "He's cruel! The king stole our father and Ayeong!"

"Shh... We don't want any of you to get caught next, okay?" The kids nodded as she patted their heads. "I'll try to do something. Now, who wants potato stew?"

*****

After showing her nameplate to the guards, Ayeong entered the back gate towards the royal kitchen, with a bag of flour that the royal chef needed.

She made a turn to the left when suddenly she heard something.

"Psst."

She stopped, and glanced to her left, looking up at the high wall; the usual spot of her meeting with Inhyeon.

"Ayeong ah," the familiar voice called out.

Ayeong looked around and rushed closer to the wall. "Inhyeon! What are you doing?! We'll get caught!"

"But he won't see me, right? If I just stay down here and speak to you? You can still hear me, right?" Inhyeon whisper-yelled, trying not to get caught by anyone.

"Ugh, fine. What is it?"

"Is there anyone who got caught recently?"

Ayeong furrowed her brows. "Like I would know. I work in the kitchen, not the prison."

"But your boyfriend is, right? Ask him, please."

Ayeong sighed. "But... why do you want to know?"

"A family had been waiting for him. He has two kids!"

Ayeong glanced at the bag in her arms, somehow it clicked in her mind. "Recently, I heard some thieves were caught for getting into the dry food store room. He might be one of them."

She could hear Inhyeon letting out a frustrated groan, and might as well facepalming herself.

Inhyeon then asked, "Do you know what's going to happen to him?"

Ayeong gave it a thought. "Usually, the king would put them in prison for days. Before executing them."

"Oh no... Say, Ayeong ah... How tight is the prison security?"

"Why are you asking that?"

Another familiar voice interrupted them, and Ayeong gasped as she recognized the voice even though it came from the other side of the wall.

Inhyeon turned around, and the Head General Min was standing before her, catching her off guard.

"Ayeong, continue your work." They then could hear her scurrying footsteps as she left the area, and Joongki began, "I told you not to come here again, didn't I?"