Chapter seventy three

The hospital corridors echoe with the hushed whispers of departing coworkers as I wrap up my shift. Mikoto bids me farewell at the hospital gate with a cheerful smile. "See you tomorrow, Yuna. Have a nice evening!" Her words are a comforting melody, a brief respite from the weight of the conversation looming in my mind.

As I board the bus, the soft hum of the engine becomes a backdrop to my internal turmoil. Glancing out the window, I see the city lights dance, a mosaic of uncertainties reflecting in their glow.

The bus journey home is a voyage through the tapestry of my emotions. In the midst of my contemplation, my phone buzzes. Mikey's name illuminates the screen, accompanied by a message that carries a touch of vulnerability.

📲 : Hey, how's your evening, Angel? I've missed talking to you.

My fingers hesitate over the keyboard, catch in the ebb and flow of emotions. After a moment, I reply.

Have a nice evening, Mikey.

Arriving home, I step into my apartment, the silence envelopes me like a familiar shroud. A cup of tea, breweries in the solitude of contemplation, offeres little solace as I sink into the couch.

The city outside mirrors the intricate web of choices entwined in my thoughts. With each sip of tea, I question the path ahead. "Should I let him wait more?" The question linger, demanding an answer from the depths of my soul.

As I grapple with the complexities of love, another buzz interrupts the silence. Mikey's messages appeares on the screen, a cascade of heartfelt words.

📲: Yuna, I can't stop thinking about you. I miss your laughter, your presence. I hope you're doing okay. Miss you.

My heart wavers, caught between the familiarity of his affectionate words and the uncertainties that have surfaced, but I can't show that I miss him too.

Take care, Mikey.

I type, a simple response veiling the turbulence within.

The apartment seems quieter than usual, the emptiness accentuates as I realise Emiko isn't home. Her absence left an unexpected void, a missing piece in the puzzle of my routine.

The comforting warmth of the tea cup cradles in my hands is interrupted by the cheerful jingle of a video call. With a smile, I swipe my phone screen and find myself face-to-face with my mother. Her familiar face, despite being miles away, instantly brings a sense of warmth to the room.

"Hey, my bunny! How's my little girl doing?" she exclaims with a grin that mirrored my own. I roll my eyes playfully, "Mom, stop with that. I'm a big girl now, an adult." Her laughter echoes through the call, "But you'll always be my little baby".

As we exchange pleasantries, my mother's genuine concern wrap around me like a virtual hug. "How are you? How's work?" she inquires with maternal curiosity. I lean back, feeling the comforting familiarity of our conversation. "Work's good, a bit tiring, but I'm hanging in there. No need to worry, Mom".

She chuckles, "I can't help it, Yuna. It's in a mother's job description to worry. By the way, is Kaguya taking good care of you?" A giggle escape me, "Yeah, your friend is doing a fantastic job. I can't complain".