Chapter twenty six

The sun is setting behind the tall buildings as i walk out of the hospital, my body exhausted from a long day of nursing. I had spent most of my shift attending to a patient who was in critical condition, and the emotional toll of it all had left me drained.

I take a deep breath of fresh air, happy to finally be out of the sterile environment of the hospital. As i walk towards the bus station, i notice my co-worker, Mikoto walking out of the hospital as well.

"Hey, Yuna" she says, approaching me with a smile.

"Hey, Mikoto" i reply, my voice tinged with exhaustion. "How was your shift?"

"It was alright. I had a few tough cases, but I managed to get through them" Mikoto said, her voice full of confidence.

I admir her positive attitude, even after a long shift at the hospital, "that's great. I had a tough one too. I had a patient in critical condition, and it was hard to see them suffer," i utter as my voice tinged with sadness.

She nods understandingly. "Yeah, I know how that feels. It's tough to see patients in pain. But you did your best, and that's all that matters" she says, trying to offer some comfort.

I smile, grateful for her kind words. "Thanks, Mikoto. You always know how to make me feel better" i voice, feeling a sense of camaraderie with my co-worker.

She grins, happy to see me feeling better. "That's what colleagues are for" she cheers, offering a reassuring pat on my shoulder.

I feel a sense of warmth spread through my body at her comfort, i appreciat her support and know that. Even though we work in a high-pressure environment, we could always count on each other.

"Thanks, Mikoto. I'll see you tomorrow," i say as the bus stop in front of me and i get into.

"See you tomorrow, Yuna" she replies, waving goodbye as the bus drive off into the sunset.

I walk towards my apartment building, my thoughts drifted to Emiko, what did she prepare for dinner or is she even home?

I reach my floor and fish out my keys and unlock my apartment door, as i step inside, I'm greeted by the delicious smell of cooking. The aroma of spices and herbs filled the air, making my stomach grumble with hunger.

"Yuna, is that you?" Emiko calls out as i make my way towards the kitchen.

"Hey, babe!"

"How was work?" She asks, as she stir a pot on the stove.

"It was tough, but I made it through. What are you cooking? It smells amazing!"

"It's a new recipe I found online. It's called shakshouka and it's a classic Algerian dish" she says, her eyes lighting up with excitement. "I thought we could have a nice, hearty dinner together."

"That sounds amazing," i reply as my mouth watering.

"Of course".

I sit down at the kitchen table, watching as Emiko put unique platter of poached eggs surrounded in a bed of tomato sauces, pepper, chilies, as well as onions, topped with spices of paprika, nutmeg, paprika, and cumin.