𝙤𝙤. 𝙖 𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙥 𝙤𝙛 𝙛𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝

chapter six:

                                                           chapter six:

LEAPING OUT OF A WINDOW PEARCHED FIVE HUNDRED FEET ABOVE the ground proved to be every bit as exhilarating as it sounded. Kai felt the rush of wind whipping past her as she hurtled toward the valley below, the red rocks looming closer with each passing second. Somewhere above her, Annabeth's voice cut through the rushing air.

"Spread your arms! Keep them extended!"

Following Annabeth's instructions, Kai extended her arms, feeling the stiffened wings catch the wind and slow her descent. She soared downward at a controlled angle, the sensation akin to riding a kite on a spirited breeze.

"Bravo!" Percy's voice rang out with unrestrained delight.

"Prepare to land!" Annabeth's urgent command pierced the air. "These wings won't last forever."

"How long?" Rachel's voice quivered with apprehension.

"I don't want to find out!" Annabeth declared tersely.

As they descended toward the Garden of the Gods, Percy's unexpected appearance startled a couple of climbers, their faces registering a mix of awe and bewilderment at the sight of a flying teenager interrupting their rock-climbing escapade. Together, Kai and her companions soared across the valley, traversing over a deserted road before finally alighting on the terrace of the visitor center.

With practiced haste, they shed their wings, their bronze feathers already beginning to disintegrate as the seals binding the wings to their backs melted away. It was a pity to discard them, but leaving them behind posed too great a risk of discovery by unsuspecting mortals. Thus, they swiftly deposited the wings into the nearest bin outside the cafeteria.

In the distance, Daedalus's workshop had vanished without a trace, leaving behind only the stark silhouette of a solitary hillside.

"The workshop moved," Annabeth surmised, her brow furrowing in contemplation. "There's no telling where it's gone."

"So, what's our next move?" Percy inquired, his gaze sweeping the horizon.

Annabeth's eyes flicked toward the distant summit of Pikes Peak, her expression thoughtful. "We can't return to the Labyrinth. If Daedalus perished... and his life force was tied to the maze itself... it's possible that the entire structure has been obliterated. Maybe that will stop Luke's invasion."

"He's not dead," Nico interjected solemnly.

"And what of Tyson and Grover?" Percy pressed anxiously. "Any news of their fate?"