𝙤𝙤. 𝙙𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣

chapter two:

                                                         chapter two:

EXPERIENCING THE SENSATION OF RECOGNIZING SOMETHING WITHOUT being able to pinpoint it was the current state of Kai. Regarded as the ideal student, she adhered to rules effortlessly and navigated the curriculum seamlessly. Despite her exemplary qualities, Kai found herself unable to grasp the identity of the monster Dr. Thorn. It was a familiarity lingering just beyond her mental reach.

It resembled an elusive itch, just beyond the confines of her reach, evading the solace of a satisfying scratch.

Kai tried to think of a plan. They way it looked, it was two against one, which normally given Kai and Percy's ability to fight would have resulted in good odds-but they had to keep the di Angelo siblings safe, and whatever kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, Kai didn't want to underestimate.

Her sword hadn't appeared back in her pocket yet-she suspected that it would take another minute-time they definitely did not have.

She looked over towards Percy, hoping he had some semblance of a plan, because she was blanking. This is why Annabeth took charge on quests, she was the brains, Percy and Kai were the strength they went along with what Annabeth planned and fought to keep the group safe, and Grover was the calm that kept them from killing each other.

Percy closed his eyes, stopping suddenly in the middle of the hallway.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

Percy opened his eyes and kept shuffling forward. "It's my shoulder," he said, sounding miserable, but Kai didn't believe it. She had been around him long enough to know when he was hurt, and he was much more whiny than what he currently was acting like. "It burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

As Kai locked eyes with the terror-stricken gaze of Nico, a poignant wave of empathy swept over her. It reignited the memories of her own bewildering introduction to the realm of half-bloods-the perplexity of absent parents, the enigma of unfamiliar faces, the daunting quest for parental pride and safeguarding. The confrontation with previously unimaginable monsters, the expectation to instinctively comprehend, to survive-it was a narrative painted in shades of uncertainty.

Her longing intensified to ease the burden on the boy at her side, to assure him that resilience awaited on the other side of this crucible, that each trial etched wisdom and fortitude into his very being. Alas, the comforting words faltered on the precipice of utterance.

Life as a half-blood unfolded like the capricious toss of a coin. With each birth, the coin pirouetted through the air, its eventual landing determining the fate of the newly anointed demigod. Sometimes, the coin's rotation seemed interminable, an eternal spin dictating the uncertain path ahead.