𝗼𝗼. 𝙪𝙣𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙪𝙣𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙙

chapter six:

                                                          chapter six:

POLYPHEMUS' ISLAND GREETED THE TEENS SOONER THAN KAI HAD ANTICIPATED. Merely half an hour after the unexpected reunion with her father and Annabeth's daring plunge into the sea, the silhouette of the cyclops's abode came into view. The landscape unfolded, adorned with forested hills, tropical fruit trees, and sprawling green meadows.

Contrary to Kai's expectations, the island wasn't shrouded in malevolence. Despite the ominous rope bridge spanning a chasm, an air of unexpected beauty enveloped the surroundings. Verdant fields, fruit-laden trees, and pristine white beaches stretched as far as the eye could see.

As their vessel approached the shore, Annabeth inhaled the sweet air. "The Fleece," she remarked.

Kai acknowledged with a nod. The Fleece's presence pulsed faintly, a sensation akin to detecting Percy's proximity before laying eyes on him. A belief lingered within Kai that the mystical artifact held the power to heal anything, perhaps even the poisoned tree belonging to Thalia.

Percy voiced a concern, "If we take it away, will the island die?"

Annabeth shook her head, explaining, "It'll fade. Go back to what it would normally be, whatever that is."

In the meadow nestled at the ravine's base, massive sheep, each the size of hippos, roamed peacefully. Yet, their sheer size hinted at the potential threat they posed. A path wound through the meadow, leading to the hills, where the colossal oak tree stood, its branches adorned with a glimmer of gold.

Percy, ever vigilant, expressed skepticism, "This is too easy. We could just hike up there and take it?"

Annabeth's eyes narrowed as she added a cautionary note, "There's supposed to be a guardian. A dragon or..."

Unexpectedly, a deer emerged from the bushes, trotting into the meadow. The tranquil scene swiftly transformed into chaos when the sheep, their normally placid demeanor forgotten, collectively charged the unsuspecting creature. In the blink of an eye, the deer vanished beneath a sea of wool and trampling hooves.

The aftermath revealed only a pile of pristine white bones, prompting Kai to confess in shock, "I think I'd prefer to see Cerberus again than go through whatever that just was."

Annabeth compared the sheep to piranhas, wooly predators capable of swift and brutal attacks. As they pondered their next move, Annabeth gasped, directing their attention to a small boat run aground on the beach, the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham.

                                                            ততততত