𝙤𝙤. 𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙡𝙮

chapter nine:

chapter nine:

AS THE INITIAL PANIC SUBSIDED, ​ANNABETH SWIFTLY USHERED THEM INTO THE BACK of a slightly run down, faded yellow ​Las Vegas taxi, exuding an air of confidence and authority, defying their seemingly empty pockets. With a determinate voice, she commanded the driver to embark on a direct journey to the radiant city of ​Los Angeles.

The cabbie, his mouth engaged in a ceaseless battle with a smoldering cigar, carefully assessed the young group. His scrutinizing gaze lingered on ​Grover, who found himself squeezed into the limited confines of the front passenger seat, adjacent to the smoke-wreathed man, while the three teenagers occupied the back. "That's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay up front."

Unfazed by this demand, Annabeth countered, her voice tinged with composed determination, "Do you accept casino debit cards?"

The driver responded with a nonchalant shrug, "Some of 'em. Just like credit cards. But I need to swipe 'em first."

In a display of audacity, Annabeth handed him her vibrant green ​LotusCash card, confidence radiating from her every pore.

He regarded the card with a hint of skepticism, silently deliberating its authenticity. Eventually, he decided to comply with Annabeth's request and initiated the swiping process. Within seconds, the meter machine began to tremble and flicker, its lights dancing in an enchanting display. Finally, an ethereal infinity symbol materialized alongside the customary dollar sign. The sight was bewildering, causing the cigar to slip from the driver's mouth, his eyes widening with astonishment as he glanced back at his curious passengers.

"Where in Los Angeles... uh, Your Highness?"

With regal poise, Annabeth, relishing in the unexpected title of "Your Highness," raised her head ever so slightly as she disclosed their destination, "The Santa Monica Pier." A visible spark of delight animated her features, clearly pleased with the bestowed regality. "Take us there swiftly, and the excess is yours."

Perhaps sharing that last detail was unnecessary, Annabeth mused inwardly.

The taxi hurtled through the vast expanse of the Mojave Desert, its speedometer a steadfast testament to the driver's audacious determination, never relenting below ninety-five miles per hour.

--------------

During their journey, ample opportunities arose for conversation, allowing ​Percy to recount his recent dream. However, the perplexing grasp of the ​Lotus Casino had thoroughly muddled his memory, leaving a haze of uncertainty surrounding their time within its walls. Each of them struggled to recall the events that transpired during their stay, their minds subjected to the enigmatic effects of the casino, up until the moment of their departure. Percy recounted an encounter in his dream where an elusive figure referred to the monster in the pit by a name or title that differed from "my lord."