𝙤𝙤. 𝙖𝙣 𝙪𝙣𝙨𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣

chapter seven:

                                                             chapter seven:

AS THE DESCENDANT OF A FAMOUSLY HATED TITAN, ​KAI HAD LEARNED A HARSH TRUTH—the ​gods despised her, and in times of dire need, their indifference reigned supreme. Yet, an unexpected twist of fate revealed itself when the ​god of the sea intervened, defying expectations and saving her life. Perhaps her grandmother's threat lingered in his mind, toying with the realm of possibilities.

With a helping hand extended, Kai pulled Percy out of the water, their figures emerging from the riverbank drenched and disheveled, akin to forlorn canines caught in a downpour. Amidst the chaos, their presence went unnoticed, overshadowed by the catastrophic tear in the ​Gateway Arch—the centerpiece of attention. Grim expressions passed between Percy and Kai, prompting them to hang their heads low and take an alternative route.

The scene at St. Louis depicted a calamity on an unprecedented scale. Every emergency vehicle within range had been summoned, encircling the Arch like a protective barrier. Police helicopters whirred overhead, their searchlights piercing the night sky, while the blaring sirens of ambulances pierced the eardrums of onlookers. Motley firefighters guarded the perimeter, creating an atmosphere reminiscent of Times Square on New Year's Eve, with a swarm of curious spectators.

Navigating the throng of people, the two teenagers crossed paths with a news reporter delivering a live broadcast. "Although not believed to be a terrorist attack at this time, the investigation is in its nascent stages. The extent of the damage is unmistakable, as you can see. We're making an effort to interview survivors and explore eyewitness accounts of a figure plummeting from the Arch."

Survivors. A sigh of relief escaped both Percy and Kai. Perhaps the park ranger and the unfortunate family had escaped harm's way. However, Kai's primary concern lay with the safety of Annabeth and Grover, individuals she held dear, like an extended family beyond blood ties.

In their attempt to approach the police line, Percy's curiosity drew him closer to the unfolding events, unaware of the camera positioning itself before him. Just in the nick of time, Kai grabbed hold of him, her widened eyes conveying a silent warning as they swiftly veered away from the lens.

"...a young couple," another reporter's voice resounded, their progress impeded by the ever-moving crowd. "Channel Five has received information that surveillance cameras captured the young couple engaging recklessly on the observation deck, potentially causing this unexpected explosion. It's hard to fathom, John, but that seems to be the preliminary report. However, no fatalities have been officially confirmed."