74

[74]

LETHOKUHLE

I had to be strong and fight for my husband this time. I know for sure Lizwi didn't kill any woman as long as that b*tch who raped him is still alive. Amahle? I don't think so.

I had just taken a shower and was now changing into something more comfortable. I honestly couldn't sleep at all, I was going crazy. I kept on looking for something in his study, basically everywhere. I didn't know what I was looking for but I just wanted something to give me a hint or a clue of what was happening.

Portia: "Breakfast is ready friend." they all spent the night here because they were worried.

Me: "I really can't eat right now. I'm out." I say grabbing a bottle of still water and a fruit.

Nqo: "Uyaphi?"

Me: "Police station. I want answers from those officers."

Portia: "Well we all coming with you."

Nqo: "Yeah, we won't let you go through this alone." I smiled faintly and hugged them. We all headed out to my car.

Me: "Where did your husbands go?"

Portia: "They left here together and didn't mention where they were going."

Me: "Skoni, are you okay?"

Lihle: "I will only be fine once my brother is back."

Me: "Don't worry, he will be back." I was also consoling myself with these words. We finally arrived at the police station. We all got out of the car and walked inside. At the front desk were two officers, a man and a woman.

Me: "I'm here to see my husband."

Man: "Sisi, there's a line lana awuboni!?!" I don't know why but my tears just started pouring.

Me: "I know kodwa ngiyacela." I pleaded with him but he just looked at me.

Man: "Hey! Join the line, you not the queen la!"

Lady: "Sisi, come to this side." I went to her side and I wiped my tears.

Lady: "What help are you looking for?" she asked looking at me with pity.

Me: "I need to see my husband. He was arrested last night."

Lady: "Okay, what's his name and what was he arrested for?" I tell her everything. She pages through the books ignoring her mean colleague who keeps throwing insults and snide comments at us.

Lady: "There is no Lizwilenkosi in our books. He doesn't even appear in any of the arrests made yesterday."

Me: "What?!"

Lady: "Do you remember the names of the officers who arrested him last night?"

Me: "They didn't say their names, they.." I just cry more thinking of how stupid I was for not even asking for their names.

Lady: "Don't cry, I will help you."

Me: "Thank you." Nqo keeps brushing my back.

Lady: "Let me call all the police stations around and find out if maybe they have your husband. It could be that he was arrested by another police station. You can sit down because this will take a while."

Me: "It's fine, I will stand here."

Man: "Manje umsebenzi ume ke ngoba wena Nhlapho udlala ukuba uMother Theresa?"

Lady: "Ey leave me alone and stay out of this wena!" she clicks her tongue.

*****

Almost an hour later, she finishes. She looks at me sadly. 

Lady: "I'm sorry sis. He isn't in any of these stations. I will keep looking and searching though. Leave your phone numbers and home address please." she gives me a piece of paper, and I scribble down my details then hand it back to her.

Me: "Thank you so much for your help and patience."

Lady: "It's my job sis" We walk out to the car. I just get in the passenger's seat and lean back on my chair closing my eyes. This doesn't make any sense and I'm worried. What if they killed my husband?!

Nqo: "Stop thinking negative things Letho. That won't happen, I'm sure Bhuti is fine."

Me: "I didn't say anything."

Nqo: "Shuthi you were thinking out loud."

Me: "I seriously don't know what to do manje mina! I thought yonke lento iphelile."

Lihle: "It will pass sis, bekezela."

Portia: "I will drive." they all get in the car and she drives off. The whole drive home is silent with only my sniffles being heard. As soon as she parks in the driveway, I get out and walk inside. I'm immediately welcomed by Sweswe and Lj's screams. They ran to me immediately when they set their eyes on me.

Sweswe: "Mama, ngiphathe." she says opening her arms. I thought we were past this stage.

Me: "Aren't you a big girl anymore?"

Sweswe: "Aybo!" she then lays her head on my shoulder. Lj just walks to Nqo who doesn't hesitate to pick him up. We walk further in and there's Aunt Thando in the lounge.

Aunt Thando: "Aw sthandwa sami." she hugs me.

Me: "Hey mah."

Aunt Thando: "Don't stress, my brothers and husband, are working on this."

Me: "Thank you." I whisper hugging her again after putting Sweswe down.

Aunt Thando: "We all thought it would be best you stay with these two, just so they can keep you busy. Uyekele ukulokhane ucabanga."

Me: "Thank you."