29

[Chapter 29]

NARRATED

THE MNIKATHI's

Thando is busy moving around the kitchen preparing for her grandson's visit and her husband is sitting quietly watching her.

Nsizwa: "Sthandwa sami."

Thando: "Yes babe?"

Nsizwa: "Can you stop fussing? that little man will like anything from you. He seemed really taken by you so i'm sure he will like anything."

Thando: "I just don't want to disappoint him, especially after hearing that your son treated him the way he did."

Nsizwa: "I seriously don't know what to do with Lwande mina manje. I will just let dad deal with him."

Thando: "I hope he knocks some real sense into his head. He can be stupid sometimes nx."

Nsizwa: "I know." they hear a car park outside.

Thando: "Could it be Letho already?"

Londi: "Yes mah, i opened for her." she said excitedly walking to the door. As soon as Letho gets out of her car, Londi jumps on her hugging her.

Letho: "Hey babes." she says laughing.

Londi: "I missed you so much. Are you sleeping over?"

Letho: "Nope. I'm here to drop off your nephew."

Londi: "Well i'm going back with you." Letho giggles opening the back door and unbuckles her son. He is holding Letho's hand tightly as they walk inside the house with Londi making conversation with Letho. Just before they can enter the house, Lwande comes out of the house and stops in front of them, he tries grabbing Letho's hand but she moves back.

Lwande: "Letho, ngiyakucela. I just want to talk to you."

Letho: "Leave me alone Luzelwande!" she says sternly.

Letho: "Sqalo?" she calls out to him softly as she holds on tight to her hand and hides behind her.

Londi: "Bhuti, can we pass please. You scaring the child too." she says taking Sqalo into her arms then walks past him leaving Letho behind.

Lwande: "Letho."

Letho: "Why did you lie to your parents?" he knew exactly what she was talking about.

Lwande: "I... I."

Letho: "It doesn't matter anymore. Move out of my way." she pushes him aside and enters the house. She finds Sqalo showering Thando with kisses.

Letho: "I'm so jealous right now mah. He never lets me kiss him." everyone laughs.

Londi: "He also wiped off my kiss."

Thando: "I guess i'm special then."

Letho: "Sanibonani." she takes a sit next to Londi.

****
Thando: "I made lunch, come this side." They all follow her to the dining area and take sits. Sqalo is sitting on his grandpa's lap since he is feeding him.

Nsizwa: "You said you are a big man."

Sqalo: "Yes mkhulu."

Nsizwa: "Then why am I feeding you?"

Sqalo: "Because you are my grandpa." they laugh. Lwande walks in with his daughter and takes a sit.

Lwande: "I'm sorry to disturb."

Thando: "How is she?" she asks taking the child into her arms.

Lwande: "A bit worse." he says sounding defeated and sad. His baby mama walks in and greets everyone then also takes a sit next to Lwande.

Pam: "Oh hiiii. Letho right? I still remember you."

Letho: "Yeah you should." she says in a mocking tone with a fake smile.

Sqalo: "Baba." he says looking at a distraught Lwande making the room still with silence.

Lwande: "Yes boy."

Sqalo: "I'm sorry for being mean to you that day."

Lwande: "I'm also sorry I disappointed you." he says swallowing a lump on his throat.

Sqalo: "I forgive you."

Lwande: "Thank you."

Sqalo: "Carry me now." he stretches his arms to him making him chuckle. He takes him into his arms ignoring Pam's stare.

Lwande: "We will play that soccer game later neh?" Sqalo nods smiling then buries his face on his neck.

Pam: "Your daughter is sick Lwande."

Lwande: "So?"

Pam: "She deserves your attention."

Londi: "Ay kahle wena! Angithi we here thina."

Thando: "Exactly. Let Sqalo play with his father, I will take care of my granddaughter like I always do while you out there."

***
Letho: "Sqalo, i'm leaving now."

Sqalo: "Bye bye Thotho!" he screamed still playing soccer with his father and uncles.

Thando: "Oh baby, he is with the boys now so nje he won't give you any of his attention." they laugh.

Letho: "Oh i'm used to it."

Londi: "Mah, can I please leave with sis Letho?"

Thando: "So you can get freedom to see your love grandpas?"

Londi: "Mah!"

Thando: "No! You still grounded futhi."

Londi: "Ay!" she stomps her foot angrily and walks back inside the house. Letho giggles.

Letho: "Goodbye mah. I will fetch him tomorrow afternoon."

Thando: "No problem sis." she gets in her car and leaves.

*******
Later on, Thando is cooking supper while the kids are all in the lounge. Nsizwa walks in carrying a paper bag. He kisses his wife and walks on to the lounge.

Nsizwa: "Where is my grandson?"

Londi: "I think he went to mah in the kitchen." he frowns then walks back to the kitchen.

Nsizwa: "Mnkami. Where's Sqalo?"

Thando: "He was in the lounge nje."

Nsizwa: "He's not there." they both frown.

Thando: "I know he didn't leave with Lwande because Lwande left earlier while they were still playing soccer in the garden with your sons."

Nsizwa: "Lwande left? His daughter?"

Thando: "Sleeping in our bedroom."

Nsizwa: "Let me go look for Sqalo." he jogs up the stairs and his wife follows him. They check all the rooms and don't find him, they both walk to their bedroom. They hear small voices giggling behind the bed so they walk there and peek. It's Sqalo and Lwande's sick daughter watching cartoons on the tablet they found on the pedestal. Sqalo is feeding the little girl her plate of food that was placed on the side table.

Thando: "They so cute together."

Sqalo: "Gogo!"

Girl: "Gogo!" they both shout startled.

Thando: "Hey lovies. I was worried about you and Melody, you sound very much better."

Sqalo: "You scared us!"

Thando: "I'm sorry khehla lami." she kisses them.