41

[Chapter 41]

@THE MNIKATHI HOUSEHOLD

Londi was in her room, she had just taken her night shower. She opened her vanity drawer looking for underwear. She pauses noticing the four sealed packs of pads. Her mind starts racing as she thinks of the last time she went on her period.

Londi: "Shit!" she mumbles. She starts pacing around her room not knowing what to do. It is a definite no for her to tell the man responsible because he will surely deny it especially since he just dumped her and told her he was fixing things with his wife.

She slowly sits on her bed chewing on her bottom lip, she grabs her phone typing a message to him.

"I need money for abortion."
"You want to kill my child?"
"I have no choice, i'm not going to be a mother while i'm this young and this was definitely not part of the plan."

God knows how much she regrets what she's doing right now but she has no choice. She stands infront of her mirror studying her body then she slowly caresses her not so flat stomach. The lower part looks a bit bloated now that she notices. Her phone rings disturbing her, she answers without checking the caller identification.

Londi: "Hello?"

Sakhile: "You better not kill my child."

Londi: "Look, i'm sorry. I was just overwhelmed by emotions and panicking. i just did a pregnancy test and it came out negative." she lies.

Sakhile: "Those things are not always accurate."

Londi: "I know but I trust this one plus I know my body."

Sakhile: "Don't make me an idiot wena!"

Londi: "If I'm really pregnant then there's a possibility that you aren't the father just so you know."

Sakhile: "I don't care, that is my child!" she rolls her eyes hanging up.

***
IN THE OTHER ROOM

Lwande: "Dad, I'm ready to work for your company."

Nsizwa: "Oh?"

Lwande: "Yes, these past months I had been taking an online classes. I was doing a business management course."

Nsizwa: "mmhm?"

Lwande: "Look dad, I'm tired of always waiting for you guys to give me an allowance. Not that i'm ungrateful, no I appreciate you and mom so much but i'm a grown man now. I'm a father of two yet I have nothing going on for me, I don't even have a job that can help me feed my kids if maybe it happens that you and mom stop giving me an allowance. I have to man up and have something going on , something i will be able to leave behind for my kids incase something happens to me. I almost died and what was I going to leave for my kids besides the car and house you guys bought for me?! I have never even set a good example to my siblings. I'm the oldest but nothing shows, uNqo has a very good job and she is younger; that is quite embarrassing baba. I want to change my ways now and i'm serious."

Nsizwa: "Son, words are nothing if you take no action so I will let your actions convince me but i'm happy to hear you talk like this because it means you've learnt something from your mistakes and past."

Lwande: "Thank you baba."

Nsizwa: "Keep that woman you hanging out with, she's good for you if you having these kind of thoughts. Keep her son." he pats his shoulder.

Lwande: "There is no woman dad."

Nsizwa: "Yeah right, your kids need a mother."

Lwande: "Bye baba, i will keep in touch." he walks out to his room laughing. He changed to a different outfit and took his keys walking out.

Thando: "Uyaphi?" he smiles kissing his mother's cheek.

Lwande: "I'm meeting Letho's fiance mah."

Thando: "Oh? okay be safe please."

Lwande: "Always." he walks out and jumps in his car. He drives off to the pub they were going to meet in. Lizwi raised his hand so Lwande could recognise him.

Lwande: "Sawubona."

Lizwi: "Uyaphila?" they shook hands.

Lwande: "Why am I here?" Lizwi clears his throat and puts his drink down after taking a sip of lemon water.

Lizwi: "I'm a man that respects culture and tradition very much. I called you here because I have a request. I love Letho with my whole heart and therefore loving her means loving your son. Sqalo is now like my own child and I'm still getting used to Melody."

Lwande: "Can you get straight to the point?" he said impatiently.

Lizwi: "I was only asking that you let Sqalo stay with us besides the fact that he still needs his mother, I think it'll be best if he stays with his mother. He is used to her anyway."

Lwande: "I don't understand."

Lizwi: "Angithi phela wemfoka Mnikathi, kwisizulu umangabe ngizoshada uLetho nje, uSqalo usala ekhaya kubo kamawakhe noma koyise. Akukaze kwavumeleka ukuthi umawengane ashade komunye umuzi ebese afika nengane yangaphandle emshadweni. Do you get me?"

Lwande: "I think I do."

Lizwi: "Now, I'm asking that you be civil with me since we will be sharing a son. You can't show up as you please kwami, you call first and ask. Basically I'm saying we should respect each other."

Lwande: "I hear you man. I'm just glad that you gave me respect to ask me that instead of just dictating me."

Lizwi: "No problem. I'm hoping we will have a good co-parenting relationship altogether. Also please don't deny your daughter of her brother, if ever she wants to visit, she is welcome."

Lwande: "Same applies to your son. I have noticed how close the three of them are so I really wouldn't mind the little man visiting too."

Lizwi: "Thank you man. By the way, do come through for our wedding."

Lwande: "I will only be able to attend the white wedding. Just send me an invite." they chuckle as Lwande places his order.

Lizwi: "I need some meat." he says looking around for waiter.