Time was running out; they had to return to the Tang family village soon. Tang Ning didn't want to hinder everyone because of his fear. He clenched his fists, attempting to suppress the weakness and tremors that had taken over his entire body. Tang Ning reluctantly squatted down, reaching out for a pearl.

The moment his fingertips touched the pearl, the ghostly figure of a child playing with pearls on the ground suddenly appeared. It plucked its own eyeballs, placed the pearl into the eye sockets, then grinned, offering the eyeball to Tang Ning.

Tang Ning's legs gave way, and he slumped into a half-crouched position.

"What's wrong?" Ji Ke had been keeping an eye on Tang Ning. He picked up a handful of pearls, stuffing them into his bag, and asked Tang Ning.

Tang Ning stiffly raised his head, witnessing a scene he would never forget – behind Ji Ke stood numerous ghostly children with pale blue skin. They arranged themselves like a chain of chicks playing "catch the chicken," their hands linking from the back of one to the next, all the way down to Ji Ke's legs.

"Legs numb from crouching too long?" Ji Ke said, tapping his own legs. The ghostly children behind him turned their heads, revealing eerie smiles to Tang Ning.

Tang Ning couldn't utter a single word from his throat.

"What's wrong?" Lin Yun, who was picking up pearls, asked while straightening up.

Seated on Lin Yun's shoulders, Gui Tong swung his legs, reaching out with a cheerful smile to grab the pearls in Lin Yun's hand. As Lin Yun placed the pearls into the bag, Gui Tong, who had been smiling a second ago, suddenly turned pale, glaring at Lin Yun with resentment.

Tang Ning seemed to struggle to breathe, his hand supporting the ground as his voice trembled, "Stop picking them up."

All the Gui Tong turned their heads in unison, staring at Tang Ning.

It was then that Tang Ning realized how naive Lin Yun's methods had been before.

The struggle between Ji Lianyan and the ghost groom was something they couldn't intervene in.

"Throw them all away," Tang Ning tried to keep his voice from changing tones.

After saying this, all the Gui Tong cast resentful glances, as if Tang Ning were the culprit who had stolen their toys.

The pearls scattered on the ground, and realizing this, Ji Ke and Lin Yun silently lifted the weakened Tang Ning. One on each side, they supported Tang Ning, walking back.

Tang Ning's legs felt like noodles, tears of fear welled up at the corners of his eyes. He didn't want to go back, but it seemed like he was the only one capable of facing this.

Tang Ning twisted, trembling, and slowly turned around, his long hair covering his small, pale body. They were shrouded in a seemingly elusive mist, but their icy and resentful gazes pierced through the morning fog, focusing on Tang Ning!

Tang Ning's soul screamed as he shuddered, turning back to face the eerie faces of the Gui Tong ahead.

The way back was blocked too!

No! Please don't go there!

His weakened body suddenly gained strength. Tang Ning grabbed Ji Ke and Lin Yun, whose hands he had to reach quite low to touch.

Tang Ning stared for a moment, holding two pale hands.

On both sides, the Gui Tong lifted their grinning faces towards him.

It was over.

A chill swept through Tang Ning's body.

"Cough, cough." Weak coughing echoed, the voice somewhat hoarse. "Why is someone outside alone?"

With that voice, all the Gui Tong vanished. Tang Ning, with a blank expression, saw Ji Lianyan walk slowly towards him. Ji Lianyan took off his coat, gently draping it over Tang Ning's shoulders. "Your face looks troubled, aren't you cold?"

Tang Ning shivered, grabbing Ji Lianyan's hand.

The hand was cool, not possessing the usual warmth due to being confined to a sickbed for years. Holding it tightly, Tang Ning felt a faint, almost chilly warmth.

"Your hands are so cold." Ji Lianyan held Tang Ning's hand and exhaled gently. He spoke in a warm tone, "Why were you outside alone?"

"Picking pearls," Tang Ning replied weakly.

"You look tired." Ji Lianyan reached out, embracing Tang Ning. "Do you want to rest in the room first?"

Tang Ning leaned bonelessly against Ji Lianyan's shoulder, not even considering whether the weakened body could bear his weight.

"No," his voice was light yet trembling, revealing a hint of stubbornness. A touch of moisture brushed Ji Lianyan's clothes as Tang Ning wiped away the dampness, "I want to be together."

After observing Tang Ning for a while, Ji Lianyan coughed slightly, "Alright."

They walked back for a while, Tang Ning with a talisman on his forehead, Lin Yun with powder, and Ji Ke. Ji Lianyan realized everyone had relaxed, with Lin Yun and Ji Ke collecting the scattered pearls on the ground, placing them into Ji Lianyan's clothes pocket.

"Cough, cough." Ji Lianyan continued to cough, and Tang Ning nervously approached him, receiving a comforting glance from Ji Lianyan. "Hungry or not?" Ji Lianyan asked softly.

Tang Ning hadn't eaten anything the entire day except for that glass of wine. His stomach felt numb from hunger, and only now did he realize it. He nodded quickly.

"I'll make porridge later, something warm for your stomach." Ji Lianyan said with care.

Tang Ning nodded vigorously, reconstructing his almost collapsing mental defenses with Ji Lianyan's caring words. A bit of color returned to his pale face as he whispered, "The other betrothal gifts are in the well."

Ji Lianyan nodded slightly, without questioning why they were in the well, calmly saying, "Alright, I understand."

He reached into his pocket, pulled out a piece of chocolate, and placed it near Tang Ning's mouth. "Eat a little first, to fill your stomach."

Tang Ning opened his mouth, took a bite, and the sweet taste filled his mouth, providing a bit of strength to his weakened body.

"Can you walk on your own?" Ji Lianyan asked softly.

Tang Ning nodded quickly.

Ji Lianyan whispered, "Sorry, if my body were a bit better, I could carry you."

—"No, it's already more than enough!"

Tang Ning didn't speak with chocolate in his mouth, but his eyes clearly conveyed this sentiment to Ji Lianyan.

Ji Lianyan smiled faintly, holding Tang Ning's hand as they walked through the silent village. This time, Tang Ning didn't feel the chilling gaze that had once made him shiver.

The houses were still empty, and the red lanterns swayed continuously, yet everything had become ordinary and mundane.

After a while, they walked to the side of the well.

Ji Lianyan stood by the well for a moment, his gaze as calm as water. Then, he tossed a bucket into the well. Not long after, he pulled out a pile of damp jewels.

Seeing the wet jewels, Ji Lianyan glanced down but didn't touch them himself. Instead, he assigned the task to Ji Ke and Lin Yun, while he held onto Tang Ning's hand, as if grasping the most precious treasure here.

His eyes were fixed on Tang Ning, and he softly asked, "Do you want sweet porridge or savory porridge?"