Chapter 3

"Have you spoken to him at all?" I lift my head to look at Max in the chair in front of me. I shake my head quickly.

"I don't want to," I answer him after a few seconds of silence. I watch Max's uncomfortable face and frown. "What?" He starts by shaking his head.

"Umm..." his eyes flicker around the cafeteria, looking at anything but me. When I follow his sight to the door.

"Max?" My voice is warning when my mind starts to catch up to what he's going to tell me.

"He might be on his way here right now," he answers with fright in his voice. My stomach drops immediately. We're sitting in the same cafe I was in yesterday.

"Max! Why would you do that?" I stand up quickly, trying to leave but he takes a hold of my arm and keeps me by the table. He's still sitting down though.

"He just wants to talk. I'm sorry, I should've asked you but you would've said no." I look at him in disbelief.

"Of course I would've. I don't want to see him. And since when are you two even friends?" He sighs.

"We're not friends really. But I've known him long time and I know just how happy you both were together." I roll my eyes at him and sit back down.

"We weren't together," I add.

"Bella, c'mon. You know what I mean." I roll my eyes. Because I do know exactly what he means.

"Fine, I'll listen but this does not mean I'm not mad at you. You tricked me here, knowing I wouldn't want to see him." He gives me a sweet smile.

"Feel free to blame me. But don't forget to thank me later," he winks and walks back to the red Bull hospitality. We're in Australia for the race. It's Wednesday today so nothing special happening really.

I see trough the window of the paddock cafe that Max stops when he meets Charles. They do some handshake and exchange a few words before heading on to different directions. Max away from me and Charles on his way here.

I meet his eyes once he enters trough the door and he gives me nothing but a nod. I frown and feel myself already being annoyed with him. He takes Max's former seat in front of me. "Hey."

I squint my eyes at him as he looks so unbothered, nonchalant. I can't recognize him. "Hi," I answer him and raise my eyebrows, expecting him to continue. He doesn't. Instead he looks at me like I should say something.

"What?"

"Don't you have something to say to me?" I scoff to his attitude. He really is unbelievable.

"Me? You were the one who wanted to come here and talk to me. I at least expected an apology." He looks shocked as I speak.

"An apology? For what?" I sigh. I knew this would be a waste of my time. "I came here cause I thought you'd come to your senses and apologize to me."

"Why would I do that? You're the one who did me wrong." He just shakes his head. And now I do the same. I really can't recognize this guy anymore. This is not the man I knew last year. This is not the man I loved.

Instead of torturing myself by listening to this I get up and leave before he gets to say anything else. I walk all the way back to Red Bull, past Max and Daniel, and into one of the offices.

I ignore the knocking, most likely coming from Daniel or Max. I'm not in the mood to speak to any of them. Instead I stay in the room alone. I think about what had just played out in the cafe and my mind immediately darts back to Charles. I start to reminisce last season.