Tang Ning explained, "These pearls were scattered by me earlier. I've become greedy now, and I want these pearls back."

Grandpa Ji's expression became even more serious, "You can't take them!"

Tang Ning was puzzled, "These were part of the ghost's betrothal gift to me. How can I return them?"

"If you discard the betrothal gift, it means you agree to the marriage. Picking them back up indicates you are just throwing a tantrum and agree to marry him," Grandpa Ji explained sternly.

Hearing Grandpa Ji's reasoning, Tang Ning became even more confused. "But Ji Lianyan said that those who took the treasure would die."

"These things are enough to buy your life," Grandpa Ji said.

Looking at Tang Ning, Grandpa Ji's murky eyes cleared at that moment, as if seeing sparkling jewels. He said softly, "Your life, it's valuable."

"My life?" Tang Ning curiously asked, "What about my life?"

Grandpa Ji shook his head, evasive, "Can't say."

Understanding Grandpa Ji's eccentric demeanor, Tang Ning decided not to pick up the pearls. After all, there were many scattered, and it would take some time to collect them all. The paper bride would catch up eventually. It was better to wait until Lin Yun and Ji Ke woke up, and then everyone could discuss how to proceed.

Tang Ning and Grandpa Ji continued pushing the small cart through the desolate village, the only illumination coming from the red lanterns hanging on doors and trees, swaying like a blood-red haze over the village. Shadows cast by these lanterns fell on the barren ground. Tang Ning walked past fallow fields and noticed shovels stuck in the soil, similar to the ones he had seen before in rural TV dramas.

He had seen these shovels before but didn't inquire about them at that time. Now, he casually asked Grandpa Ji, "What are these shovels called?"

"Luo Yang Shovel."

When they first entered the village, Tang Ning observed villagers working in the fields late at night using these shovels.

The mournful wind passed through the uneven terrain, blowing across Tang Ning's back. Tang Ning immediately averted his gaze, focusing on his breath and suppressing any chaotic thoughts.

The distance they walked, which would have taken about ten minutes, felt like an exhausting journey. When they reached Ji Lianyan's house, Tang Ning was on the verge of exhaustion.

He pushed the door open, and inside was the same red lacquered coffin, Ji Ke lying inside with bloodstains.

Grandpa Ji quickly entered the house, anxiously examining Ji Ke's injuries. After a while, he whispered, "This serves as a warning to him, not to look at things he shouldn't."

Tang Ning laboriously brought the two people on the cart into the house. "Can you help me pull Ji Ke out of the coffin? I need to put Ji Lianyan in."

Grandpa Ji solemnly said, "I can help you, but you have to do me a favor."

Tang Ning asked, puzzled, "What favor?"

Is it a simple task?

Grandpa Ji positioned himself in front of the coffin and said, "If you help me, I will allow you to put Ji Lianyan in. I want you to call a soul."

Tang Ning was shocked by Grandpa Ji's unexpected request. "What do you want me to do?"

Grandpa Ji said each word carefully, "Help me summon a spirit."

Calling a spirit?

Tang Ning had heard of this practice, usually performed when a child is disturbed, unable to sleep or eat due to fright. In such cases, people invite others to call back the child's spirit. This method is also applied to adults showing strange behavior. Different regions have their own ways of calling spirits—some involve family members, while others seek the assistance of individuals with spiritual expertise.

Compared to Tang Ning, who claimed to know everything, Grandpa Ji seemed quite adept in spiritual matters. Shouldn't Grandpa Ji be more suitable for calling the spirit?

"Why do you need me to call the spirit?" Tang Ning asked softly.

"Because only you can do it," Grandpa Ji said with a serious expression. "He won't listen to anyone else."

"Your grandson, will he listen?" Tang Ning inquired.

"I'm talking about the one who took away Second Dog's soul," Grandpa Ji gazed deeply at Tang Ning, a hint of pleading in his murky eyes. "If we don't call the soul back now, it might be too late."

Tang Ning felt uncertain. "But I have never done such a thing before," he even wondered who this "He" was that Grandpa Ji mentioned.

"He likes you a lot," Grandpa Ji said.

"If it's you, He will surely agree," Grandpa Ji added.