CHAPTER 16

"Maybe I little tighter on the left side," Jake said As he analyzed Michelle in her wedding dress.

"We've been doing it for an hour Jake. I'm tired" Michelle whined. " plus I like it like this she said" Obviously a lie because if she admitted that the dress made her feel like the black version of Cinderella then both Jake and KC wouldn't let it go

"Michelle.... sweetie" kc sighed. "We know you don't like the idea of marriage but at least give effort to finding a dress that you'd genuinely like," KC said as she came from behind her and made eye contact with Michelle through the huge mirror in the current dressing room.

Within four days she'd officially be married into the Rovello family. Even though she knows she'll be seen as a bed warmer for Lorenzo. That wouldn't stop her from trying to find her mother's killers and possibly run Elijah down the drain.

"I'm taking it off" she muttered going back Into the dressing room. She threw them on top of the 7 dresses she had already been forced to try by both male and female waiting impatiently outside for her to come out with another dress.
The designer who was originally responsible had gotten into some kind of car accident that Michelle didn't pay much to as Kc explained.

"Too much, too short, too skinny for me, too many layers" she wanted to scream. Who knew picking a wedding dress would drain out your mental stability? Michelle was about to give up when she went through all the pails of dresses given to her by one of the employees.

She reached out for the last dress excepting disappointment. But was proved wrong as she laid her eyes on the white dress. She immediately put it on with a little struggle. She smiled at her reflection imagining her mother's reaction to her getting married at the age of 21.

She turned to her side and her smile widened but slip second of her mother broke the and replaced it with a frown as if got lost in the little bits she could remember of her. And all those memories were fully loaded with pain, cries, and tears

"Mom" the little called to the bruised woman beside the bedroom bed. Her black skin glowed with sweat, eyes closed as the ragged breaths of the woman echoed throughout the room. "Mom?" She called out again slightly giving her shoulder a shake

"Baby." She whispered

"Was father angry again? The little girl asked

"Just a little misunderstanding" she let out a pained cough

"You're nose is bleeding" the little girl pointed out.

"MARIYA!" An angry voice shouted from downstairs as large footsteps approached the second floor

"Michelle go hide under your bed before he finds you here"

"B–but your hurt" she said as tears welled up her eyes

"I'm fine just, please sweetie, please she begged the little girl as the steps echoed louder. Michelle listened to her mother's cries and went for the door as fast as her little seven year  old legs could carry her"

But it was too late

Elijah had made to the before she escape, unseen

A loud gasp escaped Michelle's mouth followed by loud cries of both mother and child

"Are done yet!" She heard Kc's voice shout behind the curtain.

"Almost" she replied snapping out of it

She stepped out and smiled at the two people sitting on the couch.