On the other side, the curtain with a ghostly child hanging upside down was lifted by a pale hand. The child stared straight at Tang Ning, opening a blood-red mouth to sing, "Scatter pearls at the doorstep, joy!"

Fingers entangled with the red sash trembled to the fingertips, and Tang Ning revealed a fragile expression, almost on the verge of tears, fearfully looking at the surrounding ghostly children.

Lyrics, pearls, doorstep.

His brain worked to extract key words.

Yes! Pearls!

Tang Ning hurriedly retrieved a pearl necklace from the engagement gift box he carried. Should he throw the pearl necklace at the doorstep as suggested by the lyrics?

The ghostly child hanging upside down on the left side of the sedan swayed with the movement of the sedan. Its half body occasionally swung outside the sedan, sometimes swaying inside. Suddenly, its whole head shook in front of Tang Ning, nose touching nose. One head was right-side up, the other upside down, and Tang Ning's eyes met a wide, blood-red mouth.

In an instant, Tang Ning's mind went blank. At the critical moment when the big mouth was about to bite his eyes, Tang Ning smashed the pearl necklace onto the face of the ghostly child!

The ghostly child bit onto the pearl necklace and swiftly flew away like a hungry dog carrying a bone.

Tang Ning was covered in cold sweat, beads forming on the tip of his nose. Before he could exhale in relief, more ghostly children crawled through the small windows on both sides, their eyes and mouths wide open, reaching out their blood-stained hands towards Tang Ning!

Amidst the multitude of ghostly children, mostly indistinguishable, the box of pearl necklaces was now reduced to three strands. At most, he could send away three more ghostly children!

What to do, what to do, what to do?!

Tang Ning was so desperate that tears were on the brink. The teardrops blurred his vision, and the pearls in his eyes turned into a bewildered blur. Suddenly, as if struck by an idea, Tang Ning picked up a string of pink pearls, bit through the silk thread holding them together with his teeth, and then threw a handful of pearls out of the window.

A heap of ghostly children followed the trajectory of each pearl, turning around and chasing after them!

Seeing the method working, Tang Ning quickly took out another string of pearls and repeated the process. This time, the ghostly children on the other side also dispersed.

The dense crowd of ghostly children vanished from sight. Faced with this outcome, Tang Ning was so relieved and happy that he was on the verge of tears. He held a box of radiant jewels, yet no gem could compare to the eyes moistened with tears at this moment—fragile yet resilient, radiating a lethal charm.

As he relaxed, something overlooked in the tense situation revealed itself. The awkward presence on the cushion became more apparent.

Tang Ning attempted to adjust his position, but his body felt numb and weak. Coupled with the vigorous jolting of the sedan, each bump caused Tang Ning's limp body to tumble.

The relentless attacks by the ghostly children had pushed Tang Ning's endurance to its limit. Now, with a gentle touch, his tears fell like pearls slipping from a broken string.

So many tears, like a spring rain, illuminated by the red glow outside, enveloping the sobbing Tang Ning, resembling a dream tinted with peach hues.

And what was that something at the bottom?

Is this the punishment for intruding into the bridal sedan?

"Two door gods high on the door, joy!" faintly echoed the singing of children from outside the sedan. Tang Ning looked out, and on the newly built small villa in the village, several bodies hung from the balcony and the main door, like clothes being dried. However, among them were a few faces familiar to Tang Ning.

The faces of the villagers who carried the sedan!

Their appearances were grotesque and unbearable to witness even from a distance, instilling fear in Tang Ning.

"Scatter to the left, the golden rooster crows, joy!"

On the left, the fields were piled with rotting and stinking chicken and duck carcasses.

"Scatter to the right, the phoenix cries, joy!"

On the right, the fields were stacked with the corpses of plowing oxen and meat pigs.

The eerie children's voices became more and more distant. The sedan jolted, and Tang Ning, trembling, tried to undo the sash but to no avail. The surrounding chill almost penetrated his internal organs, and the sash, tight as if branded with iron, bound Tang Ning's waist.

Uncomfortable and on the verge of tears, the face with streaks of tears was flushed. Just as he felt like he might faint, the sedan suddenly touched the ground, and Ji Ke's voice came through the curtain, "Bride, please disembark."

Finally, finally?

And it's Ji Ke's voice. It seems like he made the right choice!

The high-stakes gamble just now finally had a result. Although Tang Ning had no strength left, he struggled to sit up. With one hand, he pulled back the curtain, revealing his tear-stained face.

Before he could see what was outside, Ji Ke swiftly covered him with a red veil. He then lifted the embroidered train, supporting Tang Ning's weak body as they descended from the sedan.

Unable to see anything, with legs so weak they were almost unsteady, and a nose still tingling with the desire to cry, Tang Ning walked, feeling wronged. When he was about to step over the threshold, Ji Ke reminded him in a low voice that he needed to step across.

From Tang Ning's current perspective, he could see the ground. Afraid of stumbling, he strained his eyes to watch. Suddenly, he noticed that everyone nearby was standing on tiptoe.

Who stands on tiptoe?!

A chilly realization jolted Tang Ning awake. Terrified, he looked at Ji Ke beside him. Confirming that Ji Ke's feet were normal, Tang Ning finally let out the breath he had been holding.

If he guessed correctly, this might be the chaotic situation caused by the Ghost Gate opening on Qingming Festival that Lin Yunxi warned him about. A bunch of ghosts were running around causing chaos.

Lin Yunxi said he needed to marry Ji Lianyan and firmly cling to Ji Lianyan's thigh.

It's okay, stay calm. Ji Lianyan will pass through it soon!

Ji Lianyan has a strong character and is not afraid of ghosts. As long as Ji Lianyan is by his side, nothing will happen!

"Next, you have to step over the charcoal basin," Ji Ke reminded softly.

Stepping over the charcoal basin symbolized dispelling misfortune. Tang Ning lifted his train and crossed over, the hot fumes making him slightly dizzy. Actually, the thing Tang Ning most wanted to do now was to undo the sash. He was really struggling to breathe.

Why hasn't Ji Lianyan passed yet?

Tang Ning, feeling dizzy and especially wronged, thought to himself.

At that moment, a steady and powerful set of footsteps approached Tang Ning. Covered with the red veil, he could still see the ground, and he observed a pair of feet in wedding shoes walking towards him.

It was Ji Lianyan!

In an instant, Tang Ning felt a sense of security. He eagerly placed his hand in Ji Lianyan's, and the firm grasp of Ji Lianyan's large hand enveloped his.

The path ahead remained unknown, his waist still tightly bound. However, the moment his hand was firmly held by Ji Lianyan, Tang Ning felt like everything was okay.

The warmth of that hand made him want to keep holding it and continue walking.

Immersed in joy, Tang Ning didn't notice that as he was led into the house, the red lanterns hanging outside had suddenly turned white.

White lanterns, usually hung during funerals.