Ch.14

Anzu held her breath as she watched Kenma weigh out his options before addressing her question, "I was looking at you like that earlier because I was watching you stretch after you stood up. Your body is immaculate, Anzu," Kenma said with a serious expression across his features. Even using her government name to help convey his sincerity. All things combined caused the room to begin spinning as time stood still around the pair.
    The setter quickly left the bed, reaching his puppy luv's side as he gently took the nearly catatonic girl by the hand and guided her down, safely, to the desk chair. "Puppy luv you still in there?" Kenma asked as he lightly shook her by both shoulders, seemingly bringing her back to the present. Anzu shook her head, rubbing her eyes and blinking a few times to ensure she wasn't hallucinating. " Kenma, did you just call my body "Immaculate" Anzu said, putting the last word in air quotes to show her clear disbelief in the opinion. Kenma felt like he could've throttled the shorter girl for not having the confidence that was well deserved for her figure, "Anzu Saito! You hush this instant! I am not about to hear you speak so poorly of yourself!" Kenma sternly stated, having to heavily refrain from raising his voice too much in genuine anger.
    It made the setter almost boil with rage towards the people in Anzu's life before him and Kuroo because if this is how Anzu indeed perceived herself, those people were fucking boils on the butt of humanity. He took a step away from the girl who was peering up at him through her lashes with a shocked expression and taking deep breaths to calm his emotions and tone. Anzu allowed the boy to take all the time he needed as she settled on her new outfit, glancing at the clock. "Turn around real fast, puddin. I gotta change," she said quietly, not wanting to disrupt his woo shah he was trying to find. She quickly shimmied out of her bike shorts and slipped into a flowing, navy maxi skirt with a slight pastel floral print and a moderate slit up the side. She tapped Kenma on the shoulder, signaling her clothed state. As the setter turned back, he was once again almost struck dead by her effortless beauty and grace. He opened his mouth to launch into a barrage of assurance to bolster her, given her earlier insinuation. Before he could utter a syllable, she held her hand up to stop him. " I have to throw my shoes and shit together and run puddin. Our little chat ate through my hour to get ready," she sighed, sounding frustrated as she bristled past Kenma.
    He followed her into the main room as she tugged on her white AF1s to complete the look. He wasn't done speaking. She had a tone with him like he had done something wrong, and that was not sizzling right in his soul. "Hey, are you mad at me?" He asked pointedly, standing over her, his hand cocked on his hip, eyebrow running for his hairline. Looking up, Anzu took in Kenma's stance and demeanor, and she was not down with the vibe he was putting out at her. "I am not mad. I am frustrated that I did not get to get ready and touch up my hair and makeup like I wanted, and you didn't get to pick my clothes like I wanted!" Anzu said sharply as she narrowly missed colliding foreheads with the boy as he stumbled back in shock at her sudden display of emotion. "That's not my fault! I wasn't stopping you from getting ready! You were the one just standing there like an idiot!" god fucking dammit! Fuck!! The setter cursed himself for speaking from such anger and reactivity. As soon as the words entered the air, Anzu froze. She felt the entire world grey as it came to a screeching halt in her living room on what was supposed to be a pleasant Monday, the start of the first week of summer.
    "Anzu.." Kenma got out before being sharply cut off, " I am going to turn around and walk out that door to meet Keji for coffee. You will be long gone by the time I get back. I do not want to see or speak to You. Learn how to use your fucking brain to fucking think before you speak!" Anzu asserted with an unnerving amount of stillness, enunciating each You and I. As the tears began to slide down Kenma's cheeks, all he could do was weakly nod his head as it hung in shame. He lifted his eyes as he watched Anzu exit the home through his now rapidly flowing tears. If everyone before him was a boil, then he, was an ingrown asshair.