Chapter 9

It's been a good amount of time, how much time? They don't like thinking about it. They remember having hope in the beginning that things would go back to normal, but it didn't. They've gotten use to the routine, though.

They take shifts throughout the night to be on watch and everyone had their duties. Making sure they had all the supplies they needed and that their weapons were working properly. Of course, they also went out hunting for food. They use to just go grocery shopping, but they got to the point of having to hunt to eat.

It was bright and early in the morning and the men were all awake. Jack went out to hunt for food with Sophia, she was awake with everyone being an early bird. Liam was on alert making sure no zombies were around and Alex was outside with him, practicing fighting with his axe.

Elena and Maya were still sleeping, being that they weren't early birds at all. Eventually, Jack and Sophia came back with food and Alex got a fire started outside so they could cook.

Liam informed everyone to be on alert while he went inside to wake up Elena and Maya so they could eat. They needed to have food in their system and not miss a meal. He placed his gun against the couch and went into the bedroom him and Elena share.

He laid down in bed next to her and started giving her a bunch of kisses all over her face. She let out a groan and pulled covers over herself. He chuckled and pulled them off her.

"Come on, food will be ready soon."

"Alright alright, give me 5 minutes." She whined and pulled the blankets back over her head. He chuckled once more and went over to Mayas room and knocked on the door.

"Maya wake up, foods almost ready." He called out to her.

She whined and sat up in bed and rubbed her eyes trying to adjust them to the light. "Maya?" He called out again.

"I'm awake, I'll be right there." She called out to him. Liam walked away and grabbed his gun and headed back outside, making sure he closed the door behind him.

A few minutes passed and Elena and Maya came out and ate with everyone. Once they were done, they started practicing with their weapons.

Jack, Liam, and Sophia didn't practice shooting too much since they didn't want to waste their bullets or have any zombies hear them. They practiced aiming and fist fighting and dodging any attacks. Liam and Jack had basically the same strength. Liam was a bit stronger though, being in the army and being trained. Jack wasn't far behind, though. They both practiced hitting one another and dodging, which they were very good at.

Sophia also trained with them, at first they didn't want her to, being that they didn't want to hit a girl, but she convinced them. Being a girl didn't matter, and she needed to protect herself because the zombies weren't going to care that she was a girl. At first, they took it easy on her and let her win, which she knew they were doing. She had to literally kick the crap out of them for them to take her seriously and to actually fight her.

She was very tough, definitely a badass, which is how she wanted to be portrayed. She's a girl you'd definitely not want to mess with, and she's also the only girl in the group that picked out a gun as her weapon. Sophia fought both of the men at once and took them down.

Elena practiced with her bow and arrow. She carved a target into the tree and practiced her aim. She became very good at it. Not missing at all and getting right in the target she aimed for.

Maya wasn't like them. She didn't like practicing with her knife or fighting with any of them. She sat by the campfire watching them all practice. At first everyone told her she needed to practice fighting to be safe, but she still refused. She hated the idea of it. Was she going to hide again when something happens? No, she will never do that again. But will she practice fighting? Also, no.

She made sure the campfire didn't go out and added wood to it when it started to die. She then heard noises. Maya thought maybe she was hearing things, but then she heard it again. Sounding like footsteps.

She quickly stood up and grabbed her knife. "GUYS!" She yelled to get their attention and everyone immediately stopped practicing. Maya stood there with a knife in her hand and they all had their weapons ready. Jack and Liam had their guns pointed at whatever was coming into their direction and so did Sophia.

Alex had his machete ready and Elena had her bow and arrow. Soon they saw people appear but they didn't look like zombies, they looked like regular people like them. "Woah relax, I'm friendly." A woman chuckled and everyone put down their weapons.

"You're lucky, you all could have been dead." Jack informed them.

"You guys could've been too, don't hesitate to attack." A man suggested.

"It's nice to see actual people, my names Liam. That's Jack, Alex, Sophia, Elena, and Maya." He introduced everyone.

"Names Carlos, this is my wife Olivia, and our children Matthew and Charlie."

"Nice to meet you guys, want to join our campfire?" Maya offered.

"That's very kind, thank you."

They all sat down at the campfire, getting to know one another. It was definitely nice knowing there was more people that were around, and it wasn't just them.

Once the night died down everyone went inside. "We don't have a lot of bedrooms left since there's 6 of us, you guys can have this small bedroom, sorry it's all we got left." Liam offered.

"We'll take what we can get, thank you." Carlos gave him a smile and the family got settled into their bedroom.