Chapter 8

The girls got the fire going and the day was over, and now it was nighttime. Jack volunteered to be the first one to be on the lookout, and then it would be Liam. Jack had his gun on him ready to use it if needed while Liam and Elena cuddled next to one another keeping each other warm.

Sophia and Maya sat next to each other, and Alex was relaxing on the floor. It was quiet now, the only sound they heard was the wood crackling with the fire. The realization of what is happening really hit them now. They were all so shocked and confused. Of course fear was there, but no one wanted to show that. They didn't understand how a normal day turned into this.

Elena looked at Liam and than at everyone else. She held onto Liam's hand and gently squeezed it. "I'm really glad you all are okay, that we all survived whatever this is."

"Survived? We're still trying to survive." Jack spoke as he looked out the window.

"I know.. But I feel like we survived the worst of it.. The ground shaking.. That was terrifying.."

"Aw boo hoo, little Elena got scared of a little ground shaking."

"What is your problem Jack?" Elena stood up from the couch. She was getting tired of his sarcastic comments and being rude.

"My problem? You! Little Elena scared of the ground shaking, people went through a lot worse than you."

"I'm not saying I went through the worst! I could have died! Anyone of us could have died! But we didn't!" She yelled.

"Yeah but you know who died?? Your sister! My fucking parents! I was covered with snow on the mountain! Struggling to get above it and struggling to breathe! And then the freezing cold! Alex's leg got chopped off! So please stop talking about how we survived and blah blah blah I swear to god!!" He yelled and started walking into another room.

"Jack where are you going?" Liam stood up.

"You take over watch! I'm done!" He yelled and slammed one of the bedroom doors. The one he chose to be his bedroom.

Elena had tears in her eyes from getting yelled at. Liam grabbed his gun and wrapped his arm around her. "Don't let him get to you, we've all been through a lot and it's been a long day."

"I know.. But maybe he's right.. We're still trying to survive.. Everyone handles shit differently.." She sighed and walked over to jacks bedroom. She lightly knocked on the door.

"Whoever it is go the fuck away!" He yelled.

Elena sighed and opened the door. "Jesus! What do you want now!" He yelled.

"I'm sorry.. I know what you're feeling, everyone is feeling the way you're feeling." She sat down on the bed next to him.

Jack took a deep breath and sighed. "You're not the one to be apologizing, I shouldn't be snapping at you, I just hate the sappy motivational shit cause I don't feel it at all."

"I'm trying not to think of all the badness, about my sister.." She looked down.

"I shouldn't have brought up your sister, it's not my place to do that."

"We're all in this together so all of this is everyone's place to say something."

Jack looked away from her as tears formed in his eyes. "Seeing my parents laying there.. They told me to stay home.. Maybe if I—"

Elena put her hand on his shoulder. "There was nothing you could have done, and there's nothing I could have done to save my sister, even if we both feel like we could've done something if we were there. We would have been killed too. There has to be a reason we're all alive." She told him with tears in her eyes.

"I don't believe in that fate bullshit, we just somehow got lucky."

"I don't believe in luck, but I do know that we're all going to have each other."

Jack gave her a small smile and they both pulled each other into a hug. "Come on, let's go join the others." She stood up and reached her hand out to him and wiped the tears that fell down her cheek with her other hand.

"I'm gonna try to get some sleep before I go on watch."

Elena nodded and started to walk out of the bedroom.

"Elena."

She turned around to look at him.

"Thanks." A tear went down his cheek.

She smiled and gave him a nod before closing the door behind her and sat back down and joined everyone else.

"Everything okay?" Liam asked.

"Yeah all good now, he's resting before it's his turn to watch." She informed him.

"I don't blame Jacks emotions." Alex commented. "This is so fucking unfair." He looked down at what's left of his leg.

"I'm so sorry Alex, I hope I didn't piss you off either." Elena apologized.

"No, you didn't, everyone has different emotions floating around, it's just not fucking fair that this happened to me."

"None of this is fair." Sophia added. "I somehow got lucky that I was training near a hill so I was able to protect myself, you're lucky too, it could have been a lot worse, you could have been dead, or have a worse injury, I know it's shitty but at least you can live and function even if you're missing a part of you."

Maya stood up from the couch and got closer to the fire. She had her arms crossed and sighed. "This is ridiculous."

"What?" Elena asked.

"Everyone's stories, you and Jack loosing your family, Alex loosing his leg, and me? I hid like a baby that I am."

Elena stood up. "Maya you're not a baby, this was a terrifying experience for everyone."

"Yeah it was but what did you guys do? You guys found me, and clearly you all found each other and did something, I just sat there! I could have done more! I could have helped others or helped your families or Alex! But no I did nothing!" She yelled in frustration.

"You're not the only one who did nothing." Liam quietly added.

"What are you talking about? You saved me, you helped Jack, you found Maya and got in contact with Sophia, you helped us with weapons, and this house, you've done so much. And Maya you're reaction is fine, it's okay to be scared, you couldn't have helped anyone, the earth was cracking under our feet, no one could have done anything." Elena spoke to both of them.

"Yeah I did all that but I couldn't save anyone in the army, I was trained for so many things, but not this, and I watched them all die."

Elena walked over to him and hugged him. "I'm sorry.. I didn't know that.. But I'm so happy you made it home, and you're helping all of us, that counts for something, you're a leader."

Liam tightened his arm around her and gave her a better hug. "I may be the leader but your the mother, making us stay together and comfort us when we need it, that counts too."