Unpleasant dreams

Start from the beginning

---

           False left her truck in Cogsmeade and then flew to the L.O.R.E. building. She'd been meaning to check in with her new teammates for a while now, but as it happened, she usually ended up oversleeping and missing the meetings. But at least I'm going now. She landed on the doorstep and went inside to the sound of discussing voices that stopped when they noticed her.

           "False! You're finally here!" Sausage exclaimed excitedly, running over and kissing her platonically on the cheek. False managed to not wrench herself away this time; she'd learned to get used to it after learning that it was how Sanctuary citizens greeted each other. "Hi, False," Pix said from behind Sausage. "You're just in time to hear my theory about the multiverse." Theory about the multiverse? False thought, her excitement rising.

          "Come on in!" Sausage said, leading her into a room where Pix had set up a redstone contraption. "Okay, so my theory is that the multiverse has something to do with dreams," Pix said. "Dreams?" False echoed. "Yes, dreams," Pix said. "It's like how Sausage dreams and then he teleports into another world." "It does happen a lot," Sausage said, nodding. " I have weird otherworldly dreams too," False blurted before she could stop herself.

          "Oh, really?" Pix tilted his head at her curiously. "Do tell me." False soon found herself recounting about how she was certain that she was from another dimension and then consequently dreaming about the other world. She didn't say anything about her nightmares; the ones where she burned down houses with people inside and saw her hands and sword covered in blood that wasn't her own. It was too personal to talk about.

           "This just furthers my theory, I think," Pix said. He gestured at the redstone contraption. There was a block of glass placed on top of a huge was of black wool next to an unlit redstone lamp. "This here is a little visual guide." He said as he turned it on. A piston pushed the wool and consequently the glass atop it upward. Suddenly, the previously unlit lamp was alight.

           "The redstone current can't pass through the glass, but it can through the wool," Pix was saying. "See, the glass represents daytime, when we're awake. And the black wool represents night, when we sleep. As you saw earlier, the lamp wasn't lit when the glass, or daytime, was activated. But now that it's out of the way, nighttime let the redstone signal pass through and light the lamp." "And what does the lamp represent?" False asked.

            "Uh, look, my theory is, when we're asleep, were more susceptible to other worlds. That's why Sausage's weird powers have so far only activated when he was dreaming and why you dream of your home dimension. And the thing is, it's only going to get worse." "What will get worse?" Faksle asked, sounding slightly quivery.

             "Sausage's teleporting incidents have only gotten stronger and more often with the hermits and the rift being here. And when you try to turn the lamp off..." Pix trailed off as he saw Sausage trying and failing to turn it off by rapidly flicking the switch from on to off and then back again over and over. "Nothing happened, see? The lamp is still lit." "So the lamp represents..." False prompted, but Pix either didn't have an answer of he was ignoring her.

           "I think I know why it's getting worse. False, you know Gem, right?" "Princess Gem of Dawn? Yeah, I've heard of her," False said. "Well, Gem started this sun religion where we all worship the sun and wear sunglasses and sleep as much as possible to get it back to daytime. Emphasis on how she's been wanting us to sleep. You see where I'm going with this?" Pix pressed.