Chapter 26 - My Strongest Desire

Start from the beginning

"I don't think you deserve my power, Shin..."

"Stop."

Unable to endure the barrage of accusations, I covered my ears, attempting to shut out the tormenting words.

I can't handle it anymore...

Just as I felt on the verge of collapsing, a warm breeze gently caressed my body. It was a sudden reprieve, a comforting touch that interrupted the onslaught of negativity.

I looked up, seeking the source of this unexpected solace. The breeze guided me as I turned around, and there, unfolding like an ethereal scene were fragments of unknown memories.

"Brother! One day, I will become stronger than you!"

A vision of a dojo materialized, two figures wielding swords, the younger one brimming with determination.

"Really? You will surpass your 'Onii-chan'? I will look forward to that then."

The child smiled brightly, nodding with unwavering confidence. "Better expect it!"

Innocence radiated from the young boy as he joyfully swung his sword alongside his brother in a dojo filled with memories and dreams.

"If you become stronger... protect the weak... use your blade to protect your loved ones."

The flashback unfolded like a bittersweet melody, a testament to the promises made in a simpler time. It was a poignant reminder of the origin of my aspirations and the purpose behind my journey.

In that poignant moment, tears streamed down my cheeks, tracing a path over the emotional landscape etched on my face.

"Ahh... That's right... That's been my desire from the start... my promise to myself..." I whispered, my voice carrying the weight of rediscovery.

A genuine smile graced my face as I turned around to face Tsurugi once more. This time, she wore an impressed expression. Yet, beneath her facade, something seemed to gnaw at her as she smiled, slowly walking to the side of the sword that stood firmly embedded in the ground.

Another flashback flooded my mind, transporting me to a pivotal moment of my past.

"Shin... Promise me... That you will be strong not only for yourself but for your loved ones."

"Yeah! I promise," my younger self replied with unwavering determination.

The scene unfolded, revealing a girl beside my brother, a concerned expression on her face as she floated above him. "Haahh... Is this boy really gonna be fine?" she asked, a note of worry in her voice.

"Yeah, he'll be fine," my brother assured, his confidence a beacon of reassurance.

The flashback concluded, and I found myself standing before the sword thrust into the ground.

I hadn't realized that my hands were already on the hilt, my fingers tracing the contours of the weapon that held both the weight of my past and the promise for the future.

With determination burning in my eyes, I gripped the hilt with both hands, my teeth gritted in resolve.

The sword resisted, embedded deeply in the ground, but I could feel a connection—a bond forged through memories and aspirations.

"I will... win this..."

I pulled with all my strength, the sword gradually yielding to my determination.

As it rose, the faces of my friends flashed before my eyes—Kiana, Mei-senpai, Bronya-chan, Himeko-sensei, Principal Theresa.

The surreal space around me trembled, and as I stood there, sword in hand, I felt a surge of newfound strength coursing through me.

Herrscher of Blade... No... That was Tsurugi...

I am... #######################

The realization hung in the air, a revelation that danced on the edge of my consciousness. The boundaries between myself and Herrscher blurred, leaving me in a state of introspection.

With that, everything turned bright. A radiant light enveloped me, blurring the lines between the metaphysical and the tangible.

In this radiant moment, my senses returned. I could hear the steady beeping of a monitor beside me and the soft hum of machinery in the room.

I gradually opened my eyes, the brightness gradually subsiding, revealing a soft glow on the ceiling.

A sense of calm washed over me as I took in the surroundings. I lay on a bed, surrounded by the sterile ambiance of a medical facility.

As I glanced around, the sight of Kiana, Mei-senpai, and Bronya-chan sleeping beside me greeted my eyes. Their heads were resting on the bed, a silent vigil they must have kept while I was unconscious.

I wondered how long I had been out.

Just then, Kiana slowly opened her eyes, and it seemed she noticed my wakefulness.

"Huh, Shin? You're awake?"

"Yeah..." I replied, offering her a reassuring smile.

Kiana remained silent, her gaze fixed on me. Suddenly, her eyes widened, and she exclaimed, "You're awake!!"

Mei-senpai and Bronya were startled awake by Kiana's shout.

Mei-senpai turned to me, her eyes widening with relief. "I-I'll go get Dr. Einstein!" she said before swiftly leaving the room, followed by Kiana.

Those two are fast to react.

Now, it was just me and Bronya.

Bronya stared at me for a moment, and before I could say anything, she unexpectedly hugged me. I could feel the tremble in her body as she held onto me tightly.

"I was so scared," she admitted, her voice slightly shaky. "I was worried that you might not wake up!"

I gently patted Bronya's back, offering comfort. "That's not like you, Bronya... A cold, emotionless girl like you shouldn't be showing me this kind of side."

"S-Shut up! IdiotShin!" she retorted, her voice a mix of embarrassment and relief.

"I'm fine now... I promise I won't leave you all," I reassured her.

As Bronya pulled back from the embrace, a subtle smile played on her lips. The vulnerability she had shown was a rare glimpse behind the stoic facade.