Chapter 3

'Kidnapped?'

Evara

"Eva, I can only provide a fraction of the amount you are asking."
Troy, the only person I can call a friend, said with a sad smile.

He's the sweetest person I've ever come across. Besides being my friend, he works as a waiter in the same cafe where I work .

"But.. there'll be a way. Don't lend from loan sharks, okay?"
He gently put his hand over mine, worried.

I gave a weak nod to him.

"Troy.. we need you. Now!"
The manager yelled from the back door, a bit agitated and pissed off. I snatched Troy from his work schedule, so it was bound to happen. Besides, our manager isn't a great person, otherwise I would have asked him for some little help.

"It's okay." Troy gave a quick hug and ran inside.

I sighed and leaned on the wall.

Now what!

Our life was going pretty good, we were finally happy after so many years of struggle. I was finally able to see mom relaxed and the burden of the heavy loans were finally gone.

But.. It's all starting again.

The clicking of heels grabbed my attention, I looked over to the lady who was elegantly dressed. Laded with expensive jewellery holding hands with a man who looks quite rich.
I bit my tongue and suppressed the tears that were threatening to escape.

Why do God have their favourites?

Didn't I suffer enough? Didn't I already taste the bitterness of life? Haven't I learned enough lessons?

This all seems unfair!

My phone rang, getting me out of my zone. But the person who was calling ruined my mood even more.

Kian.

He's a devil, but I guess I have no choice, for the sake of my mom- I have to endure him.

"Hi, how are you?"

I take a quick breath before answering him with a meek 'hello'.

"I heard about aunty. So...now what?"

"I.. She's being observed, in case another stroke happens." I shut my eyes tight, to make enough courage to form my words.
"For that, I need-"

"Money?"

My heartbeat rose, for some weird reason. I knew he would know about the situation somehow. For all these years he's been hiding behind a bush like a predator for this one moment.

"Yeah-" I cut my words in the middle. I heard him smirk.

"How much?"

"Probably.. a lot."

He fell silent.

Not because he finds the sum troublesome. He's quite rich, so it's nothing for him; he owns a goddamn convenience store. The reason behind the silence is something else.

Perhaps a plan, or maybe some sick conditions.

After all, he's been after me for years with only one motive. To date me.
And I have been avoiding that at all cost by constantly ignoring him. Partly because I don't want to have any connection with the family that disowns us. But a bigger reason was that time when he made me so uncomfortable that I had to flee from my own home.