16. Lucky Argument.

INI.

It’s been a week since dad was discharged from the hospital and things weren’t looking good.

Mom has been very cranky with everybody, I don’t know what’s going on with her since she refused to open up. She has been more busy than usual the past few days picking up more orders.

She has also been partaking in some side jobs as well even though I told her there was no need. I had transferred the landlord his money from my savings immediately the Christophers left our house last week.

It doesn’t help that Dad’s boss is a devil and he didn’t even consider paying dad’s last month’s salary because dad had worked for just half the month. He did not even make a single visit and so help me God when I see him, he’s going to hear a lot from me.

If it wasn’t for his demanding stupid customers, my dad wouldn’t be in this situation right now. I don’t understand how a boss could treat a very diligent and honest employee like this.

My phone rang and I looked around not knowing where it is. I saw it at the end of the center table where my feet are currently resting.

Mom must definitely not see me like this or she would chop my legs off.

But right now, I am really too lazy to take my feet off the table, stand up and pick the phone so I extended a leg till it reached the phone and using my big toe, I pulled the phone till it’s now directly beside my other leg. Then I bent my back forwards a little and pick it off the table.

That wasn’t so hard.

Before I could look at the screen or pick the call however, it had already stopped ringing. I shrugged placing the phone beside me on the couch not bothering to check who the caller was. I was that tired.

Between going to and from my job, taking care of dad since mom isn’t available anymore and Praise’s nonstop exhausting arguments with me, my energy is draining.

I am much more happier when Praise comes late from school these days, I haven’t really been in the mood for his naughtiness.

My phone rang again and I picked it sluggishly without bothering to see who was calling. I slapped the phone on my ear and leave it there tilting my head to the side a bit so it won’t fall off.

“Hello.” The voice came from my phone.

“Hi. Who’s this?” I asked slowly.

“You didn’t save my number? This is Gloria.” My feet were off the table in a flash and my phone almost fell off but I caught it.

My aunt was the one calling. She has never called me since they moved away and even now that we live in the same city, this was the first time she will be contacting me. So I don't know how she thought her number would be saved on my phone.

“Aunt?”

“How have you been, Ini?” She asked.

“I’ve been doing well, how about you?”

“I’m okay. I -I just heard about your dad, I was shocked, I don’t even know what to say. How is he?” She asked hesitantly and I could feel the genuineness in her voice.

“He’s recovering. He has an injured leg which is in a cast and so he’s often in a wheel chair.” I told her what I know she is dying to ask about but doesn’t know how to.

I don’t hate her at all. We are not close at all but she was always accommodating whenever I go over to their house, that was when Kiki and I were still best of friends.