12. Lucky Accident.

JULIAN.

I just put Red to bed when my phone rang, I quickly rushed out after muting the ring so that Red won't wake up again.

The person calling was Jared, he sometimes come home very late from work so I had assumed this was one of those days.

He works too much and I'm always disturbed by the possibility of him just collapsing one day.

If he doesn't do the job though, no one will. Definitely not old Papa Chris who has left the business world few years after the death of our parents.

Definitely not me because I'm sure as hell not interested at all in all that CEO duty bullshit, especially meetings.

Oh God! How I hate going to meetings, especially on the few occasions where I would pretend to be Jared.

And definitely not June because all her life revolves around baking. If it's not anything related to baking, June's never interested and that is why she is the one heading CJ BAKERY.

So. It all falls back on Jared and the dude is just so perfect at his job all the time.

Back to the present. I answered the call walking to my room. There was heavy breathing on the other side before Jared spoke.

"There was an accident, we almost got ran over by a truck." Those were the first words spoken by Jared.

"What? Are you okay?" I asked in worry and shock.

"M-my car hit a -m-m-man." His shaky voice broke my heart right there but I was still confused.

I reached my room, opened the door and went straight to the walk-in closet to change my clothes. I'll never leave Jared out there by himself vulnerable and anxious.

"Jared, what d-"

"The man was hit b-badly. I don't think he's going to make it." Jared said sniffing.

Jared was not at all a careless driver. I even avoid riding with him whenever we are going someplace special and he's the one driving because he will never go over the speed limit.

"You drove yourself?" I asked putting the phone on loud speaker and placing it on my bed.

"No, my driver was the one driving." Jared answered.

"How did it happen?" I asked getting dressed hastily.

"He was tipsy I think. I did smell alcohol on him when I got in the car but he told me he just met up briefly with some of his friends in the diner close to the company. He said he didn't drink and that his friends did, I-I don't even know why he would lie about that. Had he told the truth, none of this would have happened. I believed him because he-he has been a very responsible driver for me for three years now and I have no reason to doubt him." He explained.

The driver probably lied because he thought he would be fired for trying to endanger his boss' life.

It doesn't help that Jared has a reputation of firing staffs who he found incompetent without giving a second chance.

"I'm on my way. Text me the address of the hospital." I said rushing down the stairs.

I can't just leave Red all alone in his room and I didn't want to disturb Papa Chris who would have been asleep by now, so I called Mrs Eri since I don't have enough time to go see her in the guest building.

She assured me that she is going to look after my son and I was relieved.

Entering my car, Jared's message entered showing the address of the hospital he is at. I drove off with many thoughts and prayers running through my mind.