The Barley

Will's POV

Nico looked so worn when he'd spoken to Reyna about his intentions. It felt like the longer Nico stayed here, the worse of a state he was in.

Will told both Kayla and Austin that they would be in charge of his cabin while he was at Camp Jupiter. Kayla seemed happy for him, most likely assuming that he and Nico had reconciled.

I wish.

A month ago, he would have been worried what the weather would be like on their date to Camp Jupiter. Now, he was just glad he could tag along at all.

Honestly, Will was afraid that Nico would leave him one day without even saying goodbye.

The time before their departure passed by quicker than he'd imagined, but he still found himself overpacking for the occasion. Will wondered if he should take his bow with him, but didn't see any purpose if he had both Reyna and Nico, both incredible fighters.

When they all met for the first leap via shadow travel, Chiron and Dionysus were speaking with Reyna and Nico about information on the monsters that should be shared with the praetors of the Roman camp. Nico had his bomber jacket on, which he hadn't worn since he'd returned. It looked nice to see something familiar on Nico.

When they'd finally finished talking, Chiron stared into the distance, looking rather solemn, and Dionysus shared the same expression.

"We'll be off now. It will take me at least three hours to get there," Nico concluded.

"Only three?" Reyna looked baffled.

"The time in the underworld brought me some extra strength, so it hopefully won't take longer than that," Nico explained. Chiron seemed to want to say something, but Dionysus cut him off before he could begin.

"Nico, promise to take care of yourself?" Dionysus muttered.

"That's probably the nicest thing you've ever said," Nico replied, without promising anything. To everyone's amazement, Dionysus reached a hand forwards, ruffling Nico's hair. Despite the show of affection, both Dionysus and Nico looked downcast as if they had come to a mutual understanding.

Nico gave the god a saddened, small smile, and tilted his head, gesturing for Will and Reyna to follow him towards a nearby tree with winding branches.

He held out a single hand and the shadows erupted in movement, much more vigorous than Will had ever seen them. Nico faced away from both of them, his attention on the shadows, elongating them to create a door-like film of darkness.

He entered first, and Reyna followed closely behind, leaving Will the only one still standing at Camp Half-Blood. When he realized that the shadows were withering, he leapt forward, his body sinking.

It felt like he was drowning. Then, like his body was being chewed up and regurgitated.

Afterwards, all he felt was the frost biting at his skin. He'd worn a hoodie, but nothing appropriate for the snow storm they encountered.

"It worked. We're in Colorado," Nico said in awe. The sign above their head indicated that they were indeed downtown somewhere in Boulder, Colorado.

"Guess you did charge up on power," Reyna replied, also surprised.

To that, Nico grew paler, as if her words had infected him with a disease. Will raced forwards, ready to hand him some Ambrosia.