38

You went back to your apartment the next day and ran into Dan. He was back from his morning run, and when he saw you, he smiled.

"Morning"

"Morning" you smiled back, taking out your key. It was hard to act normal after your conversation a few nights ago. You didn't hear from him and you stopped expecting good news about Laura.

"Can we talk?" He asked as soon as you opened your door.

You turned around. "Sure. What is it?"

He opened his mouth to tell you, but you let out a laugh and wrapped your arms around yourself. You couldn't stop thinking about how you over reacted, and you'd rather have him never talk to you again than talk about it now.

"I'm sorry" he said, surprising you. "I hope you're not mad at me"

"I'm not mad at you"

"You're not?"

"No" you let out a soft breath. "And I'm not moving in with Matt either" seeing his eyes widen, you didn't want to give him the wrong idea, so you added, "we decided this wasn't the right time, but it's something we both want in the future"

"Good. I'm glad you're happy" he shoved his hands into his pockets as you took a deep breath.

"Thanks"

He cleared his throat, raising a finger like he remembered something and patting his pockets for his phone. You had a feeling you knew what he was going to show you.

Staring at his fingers, you didn't realise you weren't breathing properly until you saw him unlock his phone and go into his messages.

"Here, read it yourself" he handed the phone to you. You took it and saw the text delivered last night when you were at dinner with Matt.

'Loved your friend's story. I'll contact her soon!'

You gasped and covered your mouth. Dan laughed at how speechless you were. "I already gave her your number, so don't turn off your phone-"

You cut him off by giving him a big hug, the first one in three years. It shocked him, but he hugged you back.

"I have to tell Matt!" You said, making him frown. "Should I tell him now or wait until she contacts me?"

Dan was about to answer, when you cut him off. "You're right! I should wait until she contacts me! She could change her mind last minute" you sighed, clutching the phone to your chest. "I'm so happy!"

"I can tell" he laughed

"Thank you so much! Just tell me what you want and I'll buy it for you as a gift"

"You don't have to, Y/N"

"Nonsense!" You scoffed. "I have to repay you somehow"

"Well, you could buy me dinner?"

"Deal!"

"Really?" He furrowed his eyebrows, half shocked, half excited.

"I'm going to tell Alanna and Jess now. See you later!"

"Wait! My phone"

"Sorry" you rolled your eyes, laughing as you gave him back his phone and rushed inside your apartment. The door was closed, and Dan was left in the hall with a smile on his face.

~

With everything happening lately, Matt had forgotten the day of the big announcement. He was in the shower when he got the news and he nearly ignored the call, but thankfully Laura kept blowing up his phone.