19

Luke thought he did a good job. You trusted him enough to tell him why you went back to Boston last year, not because of the wedding, but because of Matt. He knew everything from how you got together and how you ended. It made him sigh in relief, he was sure you officially moved on.

But last night he saw how you freaked out and later broke down in the hospital. He say the way you held Matt, how you cried and thought something bad happened to him. It didn't take a mind reader to figure out why you were quiet on the drive home. It was they hug you shared with Matt, and Luke realised, there was never a place in your heart that Matt could never reach.

It was a rough night, and he was awake until 3am, with a fear that the girl in his arms could leave him anytime. But the next morning, everything fell back into place. Stepping into the kitchen, he was greeted by your usual, 'good morning' and the smell of breakfast.

"Y/N! The eggs!"

"Crap!" You nearly knocked everything off the table as you rushed across the room to turn off the stove.

"My eggs.." you mumbled, frowning as Luke stroked your head and let out a small laugh.

"I thought my girl was possessed, but I'm glad she's still herself" he joked as you threw the burnt egg into the bin and told him you'd try again. But after what happened, Luke thought he should do the cooking now, for your own safety.

"I'll manage" he smirked, nudging you with his hip to steal your stop and you laughed.

"Okay, you take care of breakfast and I'll finish this"

Luke stole a glance at you, and saw the sandwich you made into a lunchbox. It wasn't like you to wake up early, make breakfast and lunch for yourself. You hated cooking, you'd rather starve than turn on the stove.

"Hey" you said, before he could ask. "Can you bring this to Matt later?"

"Did he ask you to cook for him?"

"No" you shook your head. "Nick told me he wasn't allowed to go anywhere, so I decided to make him food"

Your response made Luke laugh. He told you not to worry, that Matt's family would make sure he had healthy meals while he rested in bed.

"These foods will help him heal faster" you told him, meeting his eyes. "Plus, you have to talk to him at some point. This is your chance to make it up"

"We're fine"

"How 'fine' are you?" You raised your eyebrow at him. "I know everything is my fault, and I'm trying to-"

Luke didn't let you finish. He grabbed your chin and kissed your lips, slightly pushing you backwards until your back met the wall. Neither of you knew what had gotten into him because, what else would you do?

Reassurance, he needed to be reassured.

But this kiss wasn't it.

Slowly, he pulled away and tucked some hair behind your ear. He smiled to cover up the fact he was nervous and said, "why don't you ask Nick to bring him the food?"

The truth dawned on you and you looked away from him. You thought for a second before nodding your head, and Luke hoped you didn't think he hated Matt? He loved Matt like his own brother, and Luke sacrificed a lot for him. He believed Matt would do the same for him.

But you weren't something they could take and give whenever they wanted. You were a person, someone Luke cared about. And he knew from the start once he fell in love with you, he couldn't step back, which was why he asked Matt if he had feelings for her too. If he said 'yes' , Luke would have walked away. Would Matt have done the same for him? No. Matt did the opposite. And even now, Luke would still walk away. But things weren't that easy. He was in too deep to undo how he felt about someone who broke your heart again and again.