35

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah" you nodded, gulping down your champagne and gave your glass to a waiter that passed you and Matt.

As the party got more crowded, you got impatient. There was something about partying with famous people that made you feel tired, and you couldn't wait to go home.

You assumed Matt felt the same. You were only here because his manager put him on the guest list. And you, were being the supportive girlfriend he deserved.

He laced your fingers together, lifted your hand and kissed it. "If you want, we can leave"

"Don't worry, I'm good" you said, faking a smile.

"Are you sure?" He raised an eyebrow. "Honestly, I don't want to be here either. If you want to go-"

Before Matt finished his sentence, his eyes stopped at the entrance where he saw Luke walk in with his manager.

"What's Luke doing here?" You asked, shocked. But Matt wasn't

"He photographed the host last week. I should've known he'd be invited"

"Go talk to him then" You pulled on his arm. "About your Dad, remember"

Matt hesitated like he was having second thoughts, but then he took a deep breath and turned back to you. "Are you sure you'll be okay on your own?"

"I'm not a kid, Matt"

"To me you are"

You rolled your eyes as he kissed your cheek and he was about to leave; when he turned back. "Forgot to say I love you" he kissed you again, on the lips. "I love you"

"I love you too" you said. "Now go"

Matt smiled at you and made his way towards Luke.

You were excited to know how the conversation would turn out, but a voice caught your attention.

"Ms Y/L/N"

You turned around. It took you a second to recognise the man, but you decided to play it cool.

"Josh Conall. Nice to meet you"

"Nice to meet you, sir"

You shook his hand. "I'm a friend of Matt's. I've heard a lot about you"

"I can't believe he didn't tell me he was friends with Josh Conall" You didn't mean to say that out loud, but you were too excited. Josh didn't seem to mind.

"You've heard of me?"

"Of course. You're a best selling author and one of the best literary agents" you said, trying to contain your excitement. "I'm a big fan of your work, sir"

"Please, call me Josh" he said, looking over at Matt talking to Luke. "Matt mentioned you're a writer"

"I wouldn't say-"

"Honey, I've read your drafts. You're a writer"

You froze when you heard those words. You looked at him, with wide eyes. You nearly pinched yourself to make sure you weren't dreaming.

"You have?"

"Matt sent it to me, and I loved every part of it. I heard it was inspired by your relationship, right?"

"I told him to not tell everyone, but...yeah it was" you laughed. "What was your favourite part?"

Josh tapped his lips. "I can't choose just one, but the ending was great. We love a happy ending"

You nearly hit the ground and kept falling. Josh's favourite part couldn't be the stories happy ending, because there wasn't one.

Your book ended with the lovers saying goodbye and the guy driving away and never looking back. You and Matt didn't get a real chance to say goodbye last year, so you had one in your imagination.