"I did. I had to get the haldi off my cheeks. So, I jumped." He shrugs his shoulders, like it's completely normal.

"You ruined my hair." I pout.

He gently rubs his finger across my cheek. "They look perfect to me."

"No, they do not. They are completely wet and ruined."

"And I can't wait to have you in the same position."

I freeze. He did not just say that. I look around to see if anyone heard him and I watch a crowd of people watching us with nothing but awe and love.

Dadi pushes through the crowd and eyes Aadi's arm around me. She smiles a little, but then manages to mask it away easily. "Tum dono ki shaadi hai thori der mei! Jaldi se bahar aao, aur baaki ki rasmei puri karo."

(You guys are getting married in a few hours. Come out and perform the remaining rituals.)

I push him away. "Dadi sab iski galti hai. Isko bolo, isi ne mujhe paani mei giraya hai."

(It's all his fault. Scold him, he is the one who threw me into the pool.)

I have this very bad habit of blabbering when I am nervous.

The words he spoke have started a fire of desire inside me. So in order to put that fire out I decided to complain about him like a five -year old. Because maybe pretending that I didn't like falling into the pool with him while he held me in his arms, can hide away my frustration from not being able to kiss him.

"Toh fir usko pakad ke kiu khari hai, bahar aa ja."

(Then why are you holding him, come out.)

I am not holding him, he is the one who isn't moving away.

I look down at my hand and realise that I am still holding his arm that is around my abdomen.

Way to go, Vanie.

I jerk his hand away and show him my tongue before walking out of the water.

I walk away with Dadi. She leads me towards a low chair that is set under a red dupatta.

"Ab aankhein mat kholna, tujhe chooda pehnana hai."

(Keep your eyes closed, they are going to put bangles in your hands.)

God, I can't believe I am getting married.

Bridal attire was something that I always fantasised about and I can't believe I will get to live that moment today.

"Shouldn't I change? I am all wet."

"Ye to pehle sochna tha. Ab mahurat nikal jaayega, aise hi chal." And she drags me to the chair and then pushes me down on it.

(You should have thought about it earlier. The auspicious hour is passing, just come like this.)

"No peeking."

"No peeking." I cover my eyes with my fingers, but then I remember they will need my arms to put bangles on them. So, I throw my head backwards as I close my eyes.

Don't fall asleep, Vanie, I warn myself.

Last night we girls had a bachelorette party, while the boys had their bachelor party. Ours was more fun and I don't care if theirs had a stand up comedy battle, where they all narrated stories about Aadi and made fun of him. Okay, I do care. I wanted to hear those stories, but they didn't invite me.

Anyways, because of the party we stayed up till late. Then Dadi woke us all up early in the morning, because of the wedding. So, right now my brain is a little foggy, and my coordination a little bad. And the fear of falling asleep on the chair like this really haunts me.