THE ENGAGEMENT

VANIE's POV

18 Days after the kiss....

My hands sit peacefully on my lap but there is this strong itch to move them and push the hair dresser away. I specifically told her that I do not, like really, really do not look good in side braids. But who cares what the bride wants.

"We aren't going to braid them, will just twist them a little." She reassures me as she pats my shoulder blades.

She expects me to believe that. My mother specifically told her to give me side braids and curl my hair. Subconsciously I play with my fingers as my nails rip the skin off my fingers. A strong, dominant, yet soft hand holds my hand and brings me back from my head, and that is only when I register that I was fidgeting with my fingers. I look up at Sidya staring down at me. She is still in her usual attire.

Everyone is set on making today miserable for me. After my reconciliation with Aadi, I tried my best to convince Sidya to let the grudge go. But both of them are set on killing each other as soon as they face each other. Then, it was my mother fighting me over an outfit. She was set on making me wear a ball gown, because that's the trend these days. If it wasn't for Aadi's mother, I would be sitting here dressed like Cinderella waiting for my prince charming. Well, I am still waiting for my prince charming but at least I am wearing an ivory lehenga. A lehenga I handpicked myself. I even had Aadi's name embroidered on the border of my blouse. My fingers run over the golden thread that says Aadi. I blush internally.

I feel a nudge as someone presses my other hand. "Stop playing with your fingers." Sidya tells me.

I am nervous and I do not like the way they are dressing me up. I had a vision and I even showed them the picture. But, they are set on following my mother's order like she is the one getting married and not me.

"Well I will, if she stops braiding my hair and tricking me into thinking that she is not." I whine.

Sidya's jaw tics as she raises her eyes to meet the eyes of the hairdresser. I watch as the air freezes around us. The woman stills as she swallows uncomfortably. I watch Sidya's movements through the mirror in front of me. She leans towards the hairdresser and one of her hand moves towards her face as she plays with her loose strands. "If I were you I would listen to what she wants." Sidya warns.

Yeah, that's like my best friend. She might be a pain in the ass but she is also the best. I slowly smile as I watch the hairdresser undo the braid she was doing.

I pull Sidya into a hug. Her eyes widen as she looses her balance and falls on my lap. "What is wrong with you?" She screams.

"Please change your clothes. I know you don't like him, but this matters to me. Do it for me." I slowly whisper in her ears. Her body stills in my embrace. In this moment, there are two possibilities of this situation going, she will either snap again or give in. I really hope for the latter.

A sense of relief passes over me as she slowly snakes her arms around me. She holds me closer and tightens her grip around me. "Just for you." She whispers back.

My chest feels warm and my lips curve into a huge smile. I remember someone telling me that everything works out in the end. I can finally see it all working out.

I push her away as I slowly mouth thank you. She shakes her head at me.

Before leaving she turns around as she eyes the hairdresser and the rest of the team. "If I see her unhappy over how you guys dress her, I will make sure you guys have no employment for the rest of your lives." She snarls at them as one of her upper eye lid presses over her lower one, passing them a wink. Sidya is a lethal woman. Even in school she would sit back and smile evilly after threatening the kids who would 'disrespect' her. Shaking my head at her, "she is just dramatic," I tell the hairdresser.