THE TARGETS

VANIE's POV

I sit in the empty staff-room, as my mind wanders.

Kids have been giving me weird looks and teachers have been nudging me. Every time, I pass through the corridors, I either hear a student giggling or see them slowly leaning towards each others ear.

Even during the class, they were constantly whispering, giggling and blushing.

So, when Anika asked me, if she could take one of my lectures, I agreed happily. All these mean and nosy kids deserve to take the surprise test Anika has planned for them.

I bend towards my purse that lies on the table. I open the zip and take my phone out.

The screen is filled with notifications.

I frown.

I unlock the phone.

My eyes go to the little phone icon at the left bottom of my phone.

25 missed calls?

My heart beats fast, there is a sudden wave of panic. I hope everything is okay.

I immediately open the app, to see 12 missed calls from Daadi, 5 from Sidya, 3 from my mother and 5 from 3 different unknown numbers.

Negativity clouds my brain. What could have happened?

As I contemplate who to call first, my phone vibrates with a new message every second.

My eyes fall on the recent notification from TOI.

"The CEO of ARYA GROUP OF INDUSTRIES spotted hugging his lady love." Click to read more.

My eyes widen and I immediately click on the notification.

I am led to the main page.

It shows a little red circle on the screen, chasing its own tail. Loading.

There it is.

Me in his arms. My cheeks heat up.

I can feel the red creeping up my cheeks.

Whoever clicked the picture did a very bad job. The shot is barely clear.

I zoom in on his arms.

Those are some very sexy arms, even in this shitty picture quality.

I can't help but wonder, if, it was a planned media stunt.

My chest feels heavy.

I stare at the picture.

My face is planted in his chest as his chin rest on top of my head. I can see people staring in our direction.

I can still fill the adrenaline pumping through my body. The way he pulled me towards him, and how warm and comfortable it felt. I could hear his heart beating. His sturdy arms around me.