Chapter 3

Dabria

"Who is he?," I asked my father at the man standing two feet from him.

"I don't need a stupid bodyguard," I argued.

"The fact you think that is exactly why you need one. When Seth finds out you and Gabriel are engaged, almost married, he will act fast. We need someone protecting you especially when you are the next in line for the throne."

"I can protect myself, dad."

"I know that. This is just an extra safety precaution. I'm not losing you too, to those awful underworlders."

I sighed and nodded. "Fine."

Cain walked over to me and stood behind me with his arms hanging and his chest high. His face looked "dangerous" but I bet I was deadlier.

"I know this won't be easy for you, but try and make the best of it. In public, you are going to have to act like a loving married couple so the Underworld will think it's real," my father explained. Wow, that was the icing on the cake. I hated icing.

I bit my lip to stop an outburst. I turned to Cain and raised my eyebrow. "You aren't going to talk to me, are you?"

He gave a light chuckle and shook his head. "No, mam. I won't talk to you unless you want me too," his rich, deep voice spoke.

I scoffed. "Yeah, that won't be likely."

I turned back to my father. "When can I go back to earth?"

My father glanced at Cain then at me again. "Dabria, you can't go back to earth."

I crossed my arms. "And why is that?"

"You have a target on your back. Once Seth finds out you are engaged to Gabriel, he will go after you. It's safer here than it is there, where none of us can watch over you."

"Then what was the point of the bodyguard?," I asked, pointing to a bored looking Cain.

Dad sighed then sat his office papers down. "He is just an extra precaution."

"I don't need a babysitter. I'm 20 and I know how to kill people," I stated the obvious.

"Just people you know how, doesn't mean you need to do it. The last time you went on a killing spree, I had to lock you up until you agreed to go to earth."

"Touché."

Dad gave me a 'told you so' look before going back to his work. I looked at Cain then walked out of his office. As I walked the hallways, Cain's footsteps shadowed my every move. That was going to take some getting used too.

I stopped once I heard a sound, causing Cain to almost bump into me. It sounded like a kid crying. My mind instantly went to Damon. I took off running into the direction of the sound.

"Princess Dabria!," Cain called.

I turned a sharp left, causing Cain to curse out loud behind me. The crying sound got louder when I rounded another corner seeing a boy on the stairs.

But it wasn't Damon, it was Gabriel's brother. His sobbed stopped once he saw me. His eyes widened in fear as he tried to run but the pain stopped him. I noticed a cut running along his shin, blood coming to the surface.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I said. Cain rounded the corner on two wheels when he noticed I stopped. His eyebrows furrowed before noticing the little boy.

I walked closer to Gabriel's brother and sat down beside him on the stairs. "How did you cut your leg?"

He stifled, while rubbing his snotty nose. "I tripped down the stairs," his sad little voice said.