Conscience Probed (Pinestar's POV, Part 2) [EDITED]

My eyes widened as I stared at her for a moment, but I quickly regained my composure. 

"Alright then," I said firmly. "Slimepaw, you shall move to the nursery. Are there any other cats who need to move to the nursery?" 

I looked around, but the group remained silent. "Then it's settled. You all will be slaves," I declared as I hopped off the rock, signaling the end of the meeting.

As I turned to leave, Maplepelt approached me with an inquisitive look. "So, what do you think of Slimepaw?" she asked with a playful smile.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I don't know. Why do you ask?"

My mate rolled her eyes with a hint of amusement. "Well, we at least need to know who the father is," she pointed out.

I sighed in resignation. "Fine, but you should probably ask her yourself. I don't think she'd appreciate it if I did."

"Alright then, I'll go ask her now," Maplepelt said with a nod as she made her way towards the nursery.

As I sat in the clearing, watching the toms go in and out, I couldn't shake off the feeling of being lost. 

Had I made the right decision? The voice in my head questioned my judgment. She-cats aren't good for anything, it said. But the other side of me argued, that maybe they aren't good for anything because we don't train them.

As I contemplated these thoughts, Maplepelt and Leopardstream approached me.

"He wasn't surprised when she said she was pregnant..."

"He has been acting strange..."

"Do you think Starclan has revealed something to him?"

"Maybe, but I can't be sure."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Cloudfeather's been acting strange," Maplepelt explained. "I think he knows something."

"Well, I'm going to find out," I decided, glancing back. "Where is he?"

"He's with Mouseclaw," Leopardstream said, sounding slightly disappointed.

"I'll go find him," I said. 

With that, I made my way to the beautiful she-cat's den, my tail lashing in anticipation. What did Cloudfeather know? I was about to find out.

As I quietly walked toward Mouseclaw's den, I overheard a hushed conversation between him and Cloudfeather. My heart skipped a beat. I strained my ears to listen more carefully.

"Well, you know my battle skills. He won't stand a chance," whispered Cloudfeather.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was he talking about me? And then Mouseclaw asked, "And Pinestar?"

"Don't worry about him. He'll be safe-" Cloudfeather's words trailed off as Swanpelt walked in.

I breathed a sigh of relief. My deputy had arrived just in time to save me from whatever danger lurked ahead.

"I heard Pinestar wants to talk to you about something." Swanpelt meowed cheerily.

I watched as Cloudfeather quickly got up and trotted out, casting a glance in my direction. I moved back a little, trying to make it seem like I had just arrived.

"Hello Pinestar," Cloudfeather greeted me with a formal tone.

I decided to get straight to the point. "Do you know anything about Badgerleg and his kits? You were acting strange after you left the medicine den."

Cloudfeather shifted his paws and looked uncomfortable. "I wasn't... Ok, ok, I'll tell you. Badgerleg said that Starclan told him to not have any kits because it went against the warrior code."

I was stunned. The one time Starclan decided to talk to us, and Badgerleg had completely disregarded their message. "And he mated with- Slimepaw didn't even want- Starclan knows-" I stammered, unable to finish my sentences.

Cloudfeather summed it up perfectly, "Well, Starclan is bound to be angry."

I needed some space to think, so I muttered, "I got to... think about this..." and made my way to my den.

I plopped myself down on the moss, my mind racing.

What was happening to our clan?

Credits to: Meow Moe on Pinterest

Leopardstream is GORGEOUS