Conscience Probed (Pinestar's POV, Part 1) [EDITED]

"Rise and Shine!" I playfully mewed, nudging Maplepelt to wake her up.

With a yawn, she replied, "Good morning to you too."

As we stretched, a thought popped into my mind. "Remember the last time we had kits? Well, a kit."

"Of course, our handsome Brambletail," she nodded, getting up and stretching alongside me.

"I've been thinking, what if we end up having she-cats this time?" I confessed, my voice laced with nervousness.

"Why would that be a problem? They'll be amazing," Maplepelt reassured me.

"I know, but what if they show sympathy for other she-cats?" I asked.

With a determined look on her face, Maplepelt promised, "I'll teach them not to."

She paused.

"I've been thinking... What if she-cats that aren't pregnant or nursing and are ugly... well... I mean..." Maplepelt said. 

I was curious and urged them to continue. "Come on, tell me," I said. 

"We should have an official name for them. They could be slaves." she finished. 

I was impressed. "You're brilliant!" I exclaimed. "I'll announce it to the clan."

But as I emerged from my den, I saw Robinpelt, covered in blood, who was snarling at Slimepaw, who was badly injured. 

"What's this?" I demanded, my voice booming across the clearing. 

Robinpelt explained, "This insolent she-cat disrespected me!" 

I was furious. "You let your temper get the better of you!" I shouted. "I expected more from our fighters! Perhaps you must be an apprentice again?" 

Robinpelt hung his head and said, "No, Pinestar."

As I turned my attention to Slimepaw, I couldn't believe what I saw. "Look at her! Do you think she's fit to serve us like that?" I asked Robinpelt. 

"No, Pinestar," he replied. 

I was incensed. "You bit her and clawed her face! What if she turns out blind?!" I yelled. 

Robinpelt tried to apologize, but I was having none of it. "Sorry doesn't catch any prey!" I scolded. "For your punishment, you shall clean out the she-cat apprentice den!"

Robinpelt protested, "But Pinestar!" 

But I wasn't having any of it. 

"No buts!" I yowled. I turned away and headed back to my den, where Maplepelt was waiting. 

"Well?" she asked. 

"I don't think the clan is ready for that," I replied simply. 

Maplepelt brushed her tail against my neck. "Whenever you're ready, love."

***

"I think I'm ready!" I said to Maplepelt. 

We had been preparing for this day for several moonrises and no trouble had come our way.

"That's great news!" she exclaimed, her eyes lighting up.

Without wasting a moment, I rushed out of my den and leaped onto Highrock. "All toms and she-cats trained or in training, gather around Highrock for a clan meeting!" I yowled.

One by one, all the cats took their places in front of Highrock or below it. Kestrelstorm, Harrierstripe, and Privetear sat leisurely below the rock, ready to hear what I had to say.

"We have a new role for our clan!" I announced, my voice echoing across the clearing. "Slaves!"

Murmurs, both good and bad, started to spread among the crowd.

"Ugly she-cats who aren't in the nursery will have this role! Which will be... Fleapaw, Slimepaw-"

"I cannot be a slave," interrupted Slimepaw, a hint of fear in her voice.

What?

Did this stupid she-cat interrupt me and contradict me?

"Excuse me?" I snarled.

"I can't," she repeated, her voice trembling. "Because I'm pregnant."

Surprise! 

Credits to: Emma :3 on Pinterest

Robinpelt da meanie is here