Chapter 43: A New Start, Again

Notes:

Reader deals with the aftermath of the Rumbling. A new start begins, yet again. The end is so close! Don't worry friends, this isn't the last chapter. I still have things I want to flesh out in post-Rumbling era. Enjoy!

Chapter 43: A New Start, Again

When the memories of the conversation come flooding back into your mind, you break into sobs.

"What happened?" Kiyomi asked frantically.

"Oh my god, Eren!" you covered your mouth. "You.. idiot!"

"Eren?"

"The Rumbling, it ended! Eren.. he talked to me in Paths. My memories.. just returned," you mumbled mid-crying.

"I don't really understand.. but you said the Rumbling is over?" Kiyomi's eyes shot open. "Is–is that true?"

"Yes!" you said. "We must head to the Fort quickly!"

"Everyone! It's safe to move now, let's all go to Fort!" Kiyomi commands and soon, all the lifeboats are rowing quickly to the fort.

The Rumbling has ended. That means Mikasa, Levi, Hange, Armin, and the others.. they succeeded right?

Levi.. you're safe, right?

Your heart pounds anxiously as you rowed with all your strength to get to the fort as quickly as you could. You need to see for yourself that he is alive!

When the Fort gets closer and closer, you begin to see the situation more clearly.

Large bones and steam are everywhere, presumably from Eren and Armin's Titan transformations. It reeks of flesh and Titan steam. People are crying. Everyone is all over the place.

You scrambled out of the boat the moment the waters were shallow enough.

"Careful!" Kiyomi calls out to you.

Your trousers and boots are soaked, but you didn't care. You just need to go faster. You're so anxious you could throw up.

Smoke and fog shrouds the Fort. You can barely see anyone until they are a good two-meter distance in front of you.

The first person you saw was Hange, crouched down on the ground.

"Hange!" you wailed. Hange's eyes lit up when she saw you, calling you over to her. You tackled her with a hug and burst into tears.

"What happened?" you asked.

"Mikasa.. killed Eren," Hange croaked out. "It's over. We stopped the Rumbling."

"Oh my god," you pressed a hand to your mouth. Mikasa.. she really did it. You wonder how devastated she must be, having to kill your loved one like that.

"Now, our role here is done," Hange sighed.

"I'm so glad you're alive.. you're alive!" you cried.

"Yes, I am," Hange patted your back, but her eyes were cast downwards. "I.. wouldn't have lived if it weren't for Catarina and Johanne."

"Catarina and Johanne?"

"I'm so sorry about them.. after you left on the ship with Kiyomi, the Colossal Titans arrived very soon after that. I was going to stop them myself to buy time for the plate, but Catarina and Johanne gave their lives instead," Hange explained, eyes worriedly looking at you. "They.. died very bravely in battle against the Colossal Titans and bought us enough time to fly here."

"O-oh," the words left your lips quietly.

Your heart clenches. Catarina and Johanne had died. They sacrificed themselves so that Hange could live and the rest could go on to stop the Rumbling. You wonder who else..