Chapter 35: A Date With Captain Levi

Chapter 35 - A Date With Captain Levi

After your delightful meal at Gourmet Gala, you bring Levi to your favourite cafe, Wirth's Coffee & Pastries.

The cafe adorned bistro-style tables and had an interior made mostly of fine, light-coloured wood. The air carried the rich aroma of freshly brewed coffee and buttery croissants. This time, you picked an outdoor seat.

"Let me guess, you're going to choose tea?" you lifted your brow.

"Surprise, surprise. I don't really drink coffee anyway." Levi hums and rests comfortably in his seat.

"Fine, I'll get the cafe latte and you can try mine. You should try their pastries too, it's delicious," you said, and called on a waiter to order. "This one's on me, since you paid for our lunch."

"Don't be silly. I'll get this one too," Levi said.

"No, I will," you insist while nudging Levi's foot under the table.

When the coffee and tea arrives, both of your eyes sparkle. You sip on your coffee happily, relishing the bitt er and creamy taste of the beans. Meanwhile, Levi is content with his usual black tea.

"How is the tea?" you asked.

"It's quite good. One of the better brews I've tasted," he licked his lips.

Today must be what a perfect day feels like. You get to escape from Wall Rose and Maria, and have a calming lunch and coffee with Levi. You sigh in happiness, wishing that this was your everyday routine. You remind yourself to erase negative thoughts or anything related to your duties as a Scout, and relish in the moment as much as possible.

Meanwhile, Levi steals glances at you, quietly observing the delicate way you sip on your coffee and indulge in the simpler things in life. For once in a long time, Levi feels a sense of calm and comfort, as if there was absolutely nothing wrong in the world and he was not a Captain in the Scouts, but a normal civilian man enjoying a date with his partner.

"This one's called a canelé, have you tried one before?" you asked and pointed at the small dark brown, cup-shaped pastry.

"Why does it look like-"

"Nope. Don't say it," you groan. You know exactly what he's going to say-

"A piece of shit."

"No! Now you've ruined canelés for me," you moan. "What is it with you and poop jokes?"

"I wasn't trying to make a joke?"

"Oh forget it, just try it," you pick up the canelé and offer it to Levi. He carefully takes it and takes a small bite. It's rich and flavourful, he enjoys the caramelised crust and soft interior. He's never had a dessert like this before.

"It's good, not too sweet," he takes another delicate bite.

"Next, you try these macarons," you push a plate of three macarons to him.

"I've had these before, Erwin made me try them once. These things are so sweet I feel like my teeth are going to fuse together," Levi takes a macaron and eats it anyway.

"I think macarons go really well with black coffee or tea though. The bitterness of the drink balances out the sweetness well," you eat one yourself.

"Speaking of tea, did you know that I once used up the Survey Corps' budget to buy tea and the accountant complained to Erwin?" Levi reminisced.

"I.. wouldn't be surprised," you sigh. "I bet the accountant didn't even dare reprimand you so they had to go to Erwin themselves."

"I purchased the tea from a merchant who sponsors the Survey Corps, so there shouldn't be a problem. That old fart went around telling all his customers that it was 'the tea chosen by Humanity's Strongest!' and made a lot of profit out of it," Levi scoffs and you laugh out loud.